From: Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>
To: nix-dev@googlegroups.com
Cc: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] current python & hg support
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:29:40 -0600	[thread overview]

On Feb 10, 2012, at 12:43 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> On Thu Feb  9 21:07:08 EST 2012, jas@corpus-callosum.com wrote:
>> A quick question for everyone, is there interest in getting a more
>> current version of hg working for Plan 9 & NIX?  If so, given I've
>> spent way too much time in the past getting both working for other
>> platforms, I could devote a little time to get both prepped for future
>> work.
>>
>> Python 2.5.1 is stable, but it wouldn't hurt us to be a little closer
>> to the 2.7.1 release.  Hg has made significant strides since 1.0.2.
>
> stallion/hg is what we're using.  it's version 1.7.5.  we're using it with
> bichued/python.
>
> as i see it, the slight staleness of the port is tertiary.  the primary
> problem is that python modules tend to assume they're on linux,
> and the secondary problem is that the python port is not as complete
> as it could be.
>
> it would also be nice for a python port to not depend on
> openssl, bz2 or z.

You've got a few dependencies for mercurial:

	bz2, zlib, & ssl

So w/o those included in the Python build, no mercurial.

Getting current will help making the transition to modules that support
the Plan 9 file systems and architecture a little more robust.

Mercurial's a good example as it's got a lot of logic in place to
deal with all sorts of odd filesystems already.

-jas