From: "Brian L. Stuart" <blstuart@bellsouth.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] More about /dev/draw
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 19:24:15 +0000	[thread overview]

I'll try to answer several questions here together.

> I see an image at bell labs for the raspberry pi.
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/miller/9pi.img.gz
>
> I see that there are Raspberry Pi 2 Model Bs and Raspberry Pi 3 Model Bs
> for sale. Will either one work with that image?

I might be mistaken, but I don't thnk that image has the few little
changes necessary for the Pi3.  The kernel file contrib/miller/9pi2
might have the update, but the sources in contrib/miller/9/bcm
are the most current.

> Do you suppose Pi 3 may have fixed the 'sub driver' bugs? What's a 'sub
> driver'? not 'usb driver', or is it? The audio out is broken, but it's
> your fault? How is that?

Feel free to correct me, Steve, if I get anything wrong here.  I think it
was a typo referring to USB.  I'm not sure if it's the same one that's
causing problems with serial adapters, but I've run into one that I
keep intending to track down when I've tried to use USB 802.11
adapters.  As for the audio, I'm pretty sure it's the same position many
of us are in.  We intend to do some work on supporting it, but in the
words of the late Prince, this thing we call life gets in the way.

> Actually, looking at the back of the monitor, it has an analog vga
> plug-in and a similar sized digital plug-in, but no HDMI. Can I still
> use it with Raspberry Pi Plan 9?

As trebol said, if it's a DVI interface, then a simple adapter from HDMI
to DVI will work.  That's the way I run one of my Pis as the office
every day.  A typical DVI connector on a monitor looks like this:

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=12589

> On another tack ... I have installed plan 9 from user space on my debian
> machine, and sam and acme seem to open and work ok. But when I type rio,
> I get ...
>
> $ rio
> rio: it looks like there's already a window manager running;  rio not
> started
>
> So, rio under plan 9 from user space (p9port?) wants the the whole
> display?
>
> I cannot run xfce and have rio in a window?

Correct.  The design of the Plan 9 windowing system is such that the
ability to run another instance of the windowing system in a window
falls out very elegantly.  The same is not true of X.  There, each display
has a single window manager.  As Erik noted, there's xnest that allows
a display to be nested in a window of another display, though I've
never really played with it.  I got scared enough the last time I looked
at the internals of a regular X server.  I'm not sure my old brain could
handle xnest.

BLS