SouthSuite’s production stack, plus a little. The top box, “wrens”, is a diskless file server, work done by the Great Quanstro. It’s Ken’s file server that uses ATA-over-Ethernet for its storage. The bottom of the picture are two SRX storage shelves, “300” and “200”, that are mirrors of each other. The machine “dmr” is our auth server, and “research” is our CPU server. Eric’s 9atom setup is mixed in there as well. They will pry IL out of my cold, dead fingers. Obviously this was all constructed, for the most part, out of old Coraid SRX junk that was laying around. Dmr was the first equipment purchased for SouthSuite proper. > On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:33 PM, James A. Robinson wrote: > > Folks, > > One of the things I'm thinking about is setting up a full Plan 9 > cluster, meaning one of the components would be a stand-alone > fileserver hooked up to a decent amount of storage. > > I was wondering what experience people have had with slower or faster > machines in this role? > > I was wondering whether or not it'd be feasible to hook up something > like http://tinyurl.com/jgov5gc (Amazon.com) to something small like a > Raspberry Pi 3, or if the I/O would be too much for that kind of > computer to handle. > > Does anyone here run a fileserver on a small computer like a > raspberry pi 3, or perhaps something like an Intel nuc? > > I wouldn't be supporting multiple users, just myself moving between > a couple of devices. > > Jim >