* sfio vs bio
@ 1993-07-05 17:20 mike
From: mike @ 1993-07-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Sfio has more facilities, e.g. you can define error handlers for
>streams, and can make use of operating system facilities like memory
>mapped files.

Sfio is also 7000 (10000 if you count stdio compatibility) lines of
code, whereas bio is about 700.  Sfio is not 10 times faster or 10
times more useful.  You're comparing apples to kumquats.

* sfio vs bio
@ 1993-07-05 10:06 Icarus
From: Icarus @ 1993-07-05 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Korn and Kiem-Phong Vo have just released a new version of sfio,
the 'Safe Fast I/O' package, which is designed as a replacement for
stdio.

The paper 'How to use the Plan 9 C Compiler' tells us "Bio is a small
and very efficient, particularly for buffer-at-a-time or line-at-a-time
I/O. Even for character-at-a-time I/O, however, it is significantly
faster than the Standard I/O library"

Before I do it, has anyone else measured these two on similar hardware
(e.g.  Sun Sparc-Station 2, running SunOS)? The paper with sfio gives
some figures for Andrew Humes FIO package and some existing stdio
packages.

Sfio has more facilities, e.g. you can define error handlers for
streams, and can make use of operating system facilities like memory
mapped files.

Icarus