* Who is this "none" character?
@ 1993-10-20 16:43 Jerry
From: Jerry @ 1993-10-20 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings!

We are running plan9 on both pc and sparc machines.  We also have
a cpu server (sparc) up and running.  When the cpu server is running,
a "who" on the file server, will show that both "adm" and "bootes" are
running.  Fine.  Frequently, this same inquirery will show
"none" and "adm"!  When this happens, the distributed system is *very*
sluggish.  We have to reboot the cpu server to get rid of "none".

What is happening?  What is the significance of "none".  Why does it take
over bootes' place?  We believe that an error from the an ethernet
card may cause this.  What is the reason for having "none" run at all?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Jerry Rayome: Struggling graduate student in Computer Science.
*
*"Everything is possible, unless the file server crashes.  Then,
* nothing is possible!" - Myself

* Who is this "none" character?
@ 1993-10-21  6:14 Boyd
From: Boyd @ 1993-10-21  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)