* can't open nvram?
@ 1993-11-02 19:25 Scott
From: Scott @ 1993-11-02 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've gotten as far as page 8 of the installation instructions,
running the terminal on a sparc SLC and the fileserver on a
sparc2, and I see the following:

term% auth/wrkey
Password:
Confirm password:
auth/wrkey: can't open nvram
term%

That sounds bad.  Now what?

* can't open nvram?
@ 1993-11-03  0:36 Stefan
From: Stefan @ 1993-11-03  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Schwartz writes:

> I've gotten as far as page 8 of the installation instructions,
> running the terminal on a sparc SLC and the fileserver on a
> sparc2, and I see the following:
>
> term% auth/wrkey
> Password:
> Confirm password:
> auth/wrkey: can't open nvram
> term%
>
> That sounds bad.  Now what?

I had exactly the same problem, to the rescue came Dave Presotto
(Thanks again Dave). The terminal doesn't ever read the nvram, you have to
boot the cpu-server "/sparc/9sscpu" instead. This will give you some
error messages, but you can ignore them. Then proceed as per the
instructions.

I could mail you the rest of the help we got from Dave Presotto, if
you're interested. There were a few other problems as I remember it.
Mainly dealing with authentication.

Regards,
--
Stefan Axelsson,			Chalmers University of Technology,
d7stfax@dtek.chalmers.se		Sweden