* Connecting a portable via a serial line.
@ 1994-01-22  2:47 Bob
From: Bob @ 1994-01-22  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Capel and David Hogan (dhog@cs.su.oz.au) have a slip stream
module and it works ok.

I have a Compaq laptop with an ethernet card that works very well.
Bob.

* Connecting a portable via a serial line.
@ 1994-01-22  2:34 Sean
From: Sean @ 1994-01-22  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an old 386 notebook computer I am running plan 9 on.
The question I have is how to connect the notebook to the outside
world.  As the machine is old the only fisable io ports are the serial
and parallel ports (I got the machine running plan 9 using floopies).
I also have a 486 PC running plan 9 which uses a unix box as the file server.
One solution I thought of was using a modem to call a SLIP server, thus
getting onto the net.  Has anyone done this?  Is there code available?
Another possible solution might be to connect via a serial line to
the 486 machine and some how talk 9P.  Again, has anyone done this?
Any other ideas?
thanks
sean quinlan