* any new documents?
@ 1994-01-26 20:06 Vijay
From: Vijay @ 1994-01-26 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have all the old documents including all the dist/plan9docs and the
dist/plan9man printed out.  These are slightly old to say the least.
Then I went to plan9.att.com and via anon-ftp got some more files,
which seemed to be newer and more upto date than the ones on
research.att.com.  These files, however, are in a .ms format, which
doesn't seem to be liked by our IRIX nroff -ms.  It just prints
some sort of format, but it is not very good.  What I am interested
in is postscript format or straight ascii of these docs. Especially
nofileserver.ms - which details how to get a plan 9 system up on
a stand alone machine.  Any help, pointers, whatever would be appreciated.
Also, do any plan 9 sites have a guest login of some sort so I can test
it out.  I have managed to coerce our faculty into asking for a licence
and the CD from ATT ;) so expect to see a new plan 9 system coming
up soon at a site near you.  Might take a while as I wrangle for
a 486 machine with sufficient disk.

Can you use rlogin/telnet into a plan 9 system? In short, will it work
over a modem/vt100 combo or will I have to set up PPP/SLIP.

Go plan9

vijay gill (vijay@umbc.edu)

* any new documents?
@ 1994-01-26 20:50 Gary
From: Gary @ 1994-01-26 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

will send you postscript version of nofileserver.ms

>Can you use rlogin/telnet into a plan 9 system? In short, will it work
>over a modem/vt100 combo or will I have to set up PPP/SLIP.

Not sure what sort of system you're setting up.  If you're running
the PC standalone, you work AT the PC.  If you're using the PC
as a terminal, connected to CPU server/file server, you'd be connected
with ethernet.  There _is_ a SLIP stream module written here
that seems to work, I was using that to connect from home.

You won't need a huge amount of disk space, I have a 120M partition
for Plan9, and that's heaps, probably 60 would be ample, (but don't
quote me on that) (but that's without full source).

I've been busy playing with getting it working with a bootp boot prom,
and using a Stealth Pro graphics card to get 1600x985 screen (essential
or at least very nice for using help) and now have quite an OK terminal.

Good luck getting things up and running (afraid I won't be able to
help you much there, wasn't involved getting things started here).