* Gnots
@ 1994-02-05  0:11 Mike
From: Mike @ 1994-02-05  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

If anyone has any information on wd90c31 or ATI Mach 32
VGA configuration files for Plan 9, please let me know.

	Mike

* Gnots
@ 1994-11-23  3:51 Jim
From: Jim @ 1994-11-23  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ apologies for replying to an old message, i'm reading the 9fan archive ]
[ please add niners@lsuc.on.ca to the list ]

> Has anyone else seen any grey-scale screens around?
>
> Any other ideas on best machine for a terminal?  We want something
> already supported by Plan 9, cheapish, with a nice high-res display for
> large help(1) windows.

i've found a number of old NEC Monograph displays, 8-bit ISA adapters
with a 13" 1024x1024 square tube.

my intention is to use these on older 386 machines, preferablly diskless
or floppy boot.

after a years wait, i think i've scavanged enough equipment to put a small
network together.  i've got a few unix hosts, some 386's and 3/[56]0's
for terminals and a sparc (sun 4/260) which i'm hoping might work.
failing that i'll be mostly intel until i can scavenge more stuff.
(can someone point me at some kind of "currently supported hardware" list?)

i've requested the latest CD, so i hope to start poking at stuff soon.

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!uunet.ca!lsuc!jim  +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems and Communications Analyst - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto   ]

* Gnots
@ 1994-02-04 23:14 Vijay
From: Vijay @ 1994-02-04 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

You mentioned Diamond graphic cards - my question is: do you have drivers
for them thar cards? I am still trying to put together a list of supported
hardware configurations and so far, haven't gotten very far.

Any help will be appreciated.  I plan on setting up and maintaining
a list of known hardware that works, making life easier on others who
will not have to go through this over and over

vijay

* Gnots
@ 1994-02-04 20:49 Gary
From: Gary @ 1994-02-04 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

What does a gnot win you?  We're working at putting together
the ideal terminal using a PC.

At the moment, we've got a 486, we boot with tftp, and have 1600x485x2
resolution using Diamond Stealth Pro graphics card.  Presently we're
using a 17" monitor (which is usable).  We'd like to get a look at a 21"
grey-scale screen.  Eizo has one (Aus$2800) but there's no local
distributor at the moment so we haven't seen it yet.

@ 1994-02-04 18:09 Scott
From: Scott @ 1994-02-04 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

| There was a post about creating comp.os.plan9.  What happened?

One person suggested it on the net, but I didn't see any followups.
Given the light volume on this list, Would there be enough traffic to
justify a newsgroup?

* Gnots
@ 1994-02-04 16:50 Steve
From: Steve @ 1994-02-04 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From the keyboard of Vijay Gill:

> There was a post about creating comp.os.plan9.  What happened?

Anyone interested in getting comp.os.plan9 should read read the "How to
Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" faq.  The URL is:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/news.groups/How_to_Create_a_New_Usenet_Newsgroup

In general, somebody needs to draft up a Request For Comments, including a
proposed charter of the new newsgroup and make it available.  Then, if
there's any interest out in net land, have a vote.

I haven't seen a RFC for comp.os.plan9, so I assume nobody has gone this
far.  If nobody else steps forward, I could write up a RFC.

> I think I saw somewhere that plan 9 was going to go primetime,
> i.e, commercial.  Any people in the know able to confirm/deny?

I am interested in knowing this as well.

--
                                               Steve Davis (strat@ksu.ksu.edu)
                                                       Kansas State University

* Gnots
@ 1994-02-04 15:37 Vijay
From: Vijay @ 1994-02-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seeing the overwhelming response to my nofileserver.ps offer, I am
hoping to get deluged likewise with requests to sell me a Gnot ;)
Actually, I was wondering if any Gnots are available commercially.
And please, no sun 3/50's.  I want the Gnot.

Now onto some more questions:

There was a post about creating comp.os.plan9.  What happened?

I think I saw somewhere that plan 9 was going to go primetime,
i.e, commercial.  Any people in the know able to confirm/deny?

Vijay Gill                         |The (paying) customer is always right.
wrath@cs.umbc.edu                  |                  - Piercarlo Grandi
vijay@gl.umbc.edu                  | Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
These are my opinions only.        | sucked into jet engines.