From: Gary Capell gary@cs.su.OZ.AU
Subject: SCSI support for PC, file server?
Date: Mon,  7 Feb 1994 20:23:48 -0500	[thread overview]

So does someone have a PC running as a file server somewhere?
If it's possible to get a Plan9 cpu server, file server and terminal
with three off-the-shelf PCs, it expands the possible market
enormously, I think, which means more developers, which means more
software, and support for more hardware, which expands the market,
which...oh who am I kidding?

I didn't even know anyone was working on such a thing.  I'd hate
for there to be duplication of effort, there's too much to do.
I think we're fast approaching the time we need an FTP site to
store our various hacks.  Also, perhaps people should post to
this list what s'ware they have written, and what they are in the
process of or planning on writing.  We can avoid duplication,
maybe even cooperate.

BTW, are there dangers or complications with sharing?  What
does a license restrict you from sharing with the world?
What if your code is mostly derived from Bell Labs source?
Is there a danger of diverging Plan 9 versions, a la Unix?
I think my ideal would be an ftp site of various drivers,
ports, and apps which would be treated as beta test, with
the working drivers and ports, and apps WORTH cluttering
up the name space/disk space, selected by Bell Labs and
added to the next distribution.

Thoughts?  And what are _you_ working on/thinking of working on?

BTW, I have a munged version of help(1) that lets you use
the view key and has some acme(1) features, i.e. click
button 3 on a filename to open, current directory state
associated with each window.  If anyone wants it, I'm
not sure what I'm allowed to do, but _I_ certainly don't
mind sharing :-).