* rumours of plan 9 going commercial
@ 1994-02-09  3:21 Dave
From: Dave @ 1994-02-09  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 19:38:02 -0500
   From: Vijay Gill <vijay@gl.umbc.edu>

   > However, I think Rob Pike has said that they are trying
   > to get Plan 9 publicly released.  I assume he means as
   > free software along the lines of awk or sam.  I believe
   > this is the only way Plan 9 will ever have a chance to see
   > the widespread use it deserves, and so I hope very much
   > that this happens.

   Oh god, I think the earth moved for me.

I like the Plan 9 design *A*LOT*.  I have read most of the
documentation (about a year ago).

I am currently running Linux on my laptop, because I refuse to run an
operating system for which I don't have source.  As far as I'm
concerned, I do not have source for Plan 9, because though the
University may have source, I refuse to look at source that may some
day taint me and any operating system code I may produce (c.f. the USL
v.s BSDI lawsuit).  If the plan 9 source was covered by a copyright
like NJ/SML (also from AT&T), I would almost certainly switch (despite
my editor comments below).

   I am drumming up support for plan 9 here, but when I say it
   doesn't run emacs, people lose all interest and the weird thing
   is that after about 2 weeks of running sam, I would hate to go

I use emacs for 3 reasons: customizability, availability on any
platform on which I would consider working, and a shell interface
(under which I run the Unix rc) that I can use *from*the*keyboard* (I
*hate* mice).  I played with the Unix sam for a while, but wasn't too
impressed (the native plan 9 version is probably much nicer).  acme
sounds interesting... if there was a Unix version (for the machines
where I can't change the OS) I'd be willing to give it a serious shot.

../Dave

* rumours of plan 9 going commercial
@ 1994-02-09  1:10 Scott
From: Scott @ 1994-02-09  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

| ...the weird thing is that after about 2 weeks of running sam, I would
| hate to go back to emacs, and I am a die hard emacs/vi fan.

Just wait 'til you see acme.

* rumours of plan 9 going commercial
@ 1994-02-09  0:38 Vijay
From: Vijay @ 1994-02-09  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> However, I think Rob Pike has said that they are trying
> to get Plan 9 publicly released.  I assume he means as
> free software along the lines of awk or sam.  I believe
> this is the only way Plan 9 will ever have a chance to see
> the widespread use it deserves, and so I hope very much
> that this happens.

Oh god, I think the earth moved for me.
I am drumming up support for plan 9 here, but when I say it
doesn't run emacs, people lose all interest and the weird thing
is that after about 2 weeks of running sam, I would hate to go
back to emacs, and I am a die hard emacs/vi fan.  But most people
don't seem to be willing to take the time to learn sam properly.
People I showed sam to... oh whats the point.

The compatibility list seems to be working, I got some mail about
it, so people, if you have PC's running plan 9, mail me your
configuration/hardware specs and get them incorporated into the
list.

vijay

* rumours of plan 9 going commercial
@ 1994-02-08 22:26 Mike
From: Mike @ 1994-02-08 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some reason various people on this list have been
floating rumours about plan 9 going commercial.  I think
this is ludicrous.  At best, wishful thinking; at worst,
confusing to others on the list.

I don't think Plan 9 has any real chance of going commercial.
First of all, the entrenched momentum of the Unix/X11 and
DOS/Windows markets is too great.  I am essentially the
only person here who uses Plan 9; I have tried to find
other recruits, but between a shortage of hardware and the
"what do you mean it doesn't have EMACS?" syndrome, it is
an uphill battle.

Secondly, remember AT&T sold USL to Novell.  I think this
makes it clear that AT&T doesn't really want to be in the
business of selling operating systems.

So basically, forget it.