* Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
@ 1994-03-05  6:15 Scott
From: Scott @ 1994-03-05  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

| I've been using this exclusively for about a year.
| The only time I use xterm is to read news, or if I'm at home to dial in
| to work.

Me too, except its emacs for news and xterm for talk. :-)

* Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
@ 1994-03-07 13:13 mhw
From: mhw @ 1994-03-07 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>                                                            Gary (and
> others) have been asking me about chording too so I've at least thought
> about it.

After doing the chord patch for sam I found it quite easy to do the same
thing for 9term. It relies on the one line change to libframe/frselect.c
to get it to work. I've not mailed it to the list though because I'm not
really happy about the way it works. If you study it closely, cut and paste
in 9term is actually inconsistent with sam in that pasted text does not
stay selected (at least in the version I run). I did a patch where chording
buttons 2 and 3 did cut and paste and found I didn't use it very much after
all. I know run a version where button 3 does send without appending a \n
to the text and this works quite nicely as it support picking things from
the previous text to be entered into the new command. It does annoy a little
when you want to edit some text for input to a command though.

Anyway, I can mail you both patches if you want (they're not that much
different anyway) and you can see what you think. I find 9term is dissimilar
enough from sam to require a slightly different style of working.

Look forward to the new version...

-Mark.

Mark H. Wilkinson <mhw@minster.york.ac.uk>  : Research student in user
University of York, England                 : interface management systems

* Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
@ 1994-03-06  2:33 Gary
From: Gary @ 1994-03-06  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Now's the time to nag me again about the bugs you've been wanting fixed.  ;-)

The lack of pie menus....
:-)

* Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
@ 1994-03-05 11:18 James
From: James @ 1994-03-05 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

    To:	arnold@cc.gatech.edu (Arnold Robbins)
    cc:	Vijay Gill <vijay@gl.umbc.edu>, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
    Subject: Re: Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
    Date:	Sat, 5 Mar 1994 01:15:50 -0500
    From:	Scott Schwartz <schwartz@groucho.cse.psu.edu>

    | I've been using this exclusively for about a year.
    | The only time I use xterm is to read news, or if I'm at home to dial in
    | to work.

    Me too, except its emacs for news and xterm for talk. :-)

Ah, perhaps it's time for me to tidy up gtalk and make it available.
It's an interface I wrote for talk a while back built on top of
libXg/libtext.  It hasn't got bells and whistles but if there's
interest I can put it up.

For those who are interested I've found some time to look at 9term.
I'm tidying that up (and I've hopefully fixed the echo problem...) and
trying to nail down David Hogan to add 9wm compatibility.  Gary (and
others) have been asking me about chording too so I've at least thought
about it.  So there should be a new 9term bundle out soon.  Now's the
time to nag me again about the bugs you've been wanting fixed.  ;-)

					Matty.

* Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
@ 1994-03-04 17:30 Chris
From: Chris @ 1994-03-04 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Es and rc can be ftp'd from ftp.sys.utoronto.ca in /pub/es and
/pub/rc; rc can also be gotten from viz.tamu.edu:/pub/rc. The
mailing lists are (es-request rc-request)^@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu.
There's also a mailing list sam run here; send mail to sam-fans-request.

	- cks

* Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
@ 1994-03-04 15:36 Arnold
From: Arnold @ 1994-03-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are relatively new to the list, so you may not know about 9term and the
customized gwm from australia.  These "help" in making looking Unix look
more plan 9 like.

First, you need to get the 9term dist from ftp.cs.su.oz.au in I think
/pub/matty.  This is a terminal emulator for X that behaves like an 8.5
window. It's built on top of sam's libframe and libXg.  I don't think it
comes with aviion support, so you may have some work to do there.

Next you need John Mackin's customized gwm, which is a window manager that
makes X look a lot like a blit. It was in the top level directory of
civil.su.oz.au and I have it mirrored in ftp.cc.gatech.edu, get
/pub/adr/gwm-dist.tar.

Finally, you need a decent shell, either 'rc' or 'es'. Both are archived at
toronto somewhere, I don't remember where.  I use 'es', although I for
the most part just type commands at it, and don't have the time I'd like
to take advantage of its power.  There are mailing lists run off toronto
for both rc and es, although they've been quite quiet lately. (Alas, the
two authors of the programs both work at start-up companies, which means
they've had little time to do the real work of caring for their programs. :-)

Anyway, the combination of sam, 9term+es, and the window manager give a
*very* consistent feel to the environment, with a nice minimalist feel
to the whole thing.  I've been using this exclusively for about a year.
The only time I use xterm is to read news, or if I'm at home to dial in
to work.

Enjoy!

Arnold Robbins --- Continuing Education, College of Computing
Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0280	Phone: +1 404 894 9214 (has voice mail)
E-mail: arnold.robbins@cc.gatech.edu	FAX:   +1 404 853 9378
"I'm just a hitchhiker along the Information Superhighway." -- Me