From: mhw@minster.york.ac.uk mhw@minster.york.ac.uk
Subject: Faking it under Unix (was Re: Plan 9: The future)
Date: Mon,  7 Mar 1994 08:13:21 -0500	[thread overview]

>                                                            Gary (and
> others) have been asking me about chording too so I've at least thought
> about it.

After doing the chord patch for sam I found it quite easy to do the same
thing for 9term. It relies on the one line change to libframe/frselect.c
to get it to work. I've not mailed it to the list though because I'm not
really happy about the way it works. If you study it closely, cut and paste
in 9term is actually inconsistent with sam in that pasted text does not
stay selected (at least in the version I run). I did a patch where chording
buttons 2 and 3 did cut and paste and found I didn't use it very much after
all. I know run a version where button 3 does send without appending a \n
to the text and this works quite nicely as it support picking things from
the previous text to be entered into the new command. It does annoy a little
when you want to edit some text for input to a command though.

Anyway, I can mail you both patches if you want (they're not that much
different anyway) and you can see what you think. I find 9term is dissimilar
enough from sam to require a slightly different style of working.

Look forward to the new version...

-Mark.

Mark H. Wilkinson <mhw@minster.york.ac.uk>  : Research student in user
University of York, England                 : interface management systems