* newcomer rehashing some old questions
@ 1994-04-14 16:14 Steve
From: Steve @ 1994-04-14 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. I'm new to this list, and I found a few things in the archive
that I'd like to ask about.

On 2 Nov 1993, mike@majestix.cs.uoregon.edu wrote:
> There is no need for a cpu server to run Plan 9, unless you
> want to run daemons that accept calls from the outside world,
> for instance for mail delivery or remote logins.  There is
> no real difference between a terminal and a cpu server; a
> cpu server is essentially the same kernel with a different
> startup script that starts various daemons.

Since auth(8) and cron(8) can run on a terminal, is there any way
to make the other daemons (for mail delivery and remote logins)
work on one?  Perhaps by building some sort of hybrid kernel?

The cpu server and terminal kernels are closely related, but what
is the difference between them? More than just the graphics driver I guess.

I only have 2 Magnums to work with, and I was planning to use one as a
terminal, and the other as a file server (with 2 interleaved 200Meg disks).
Would this be recommended, or does anyone have a 'better' idea?

On Thu, 17 Feb 1994, Sean Doran wrote:
> I'm fairly sure that I was being told about post-Brazil things (better
> networking including a working IP multiplexor, PPP and NFS, colour support
> and better graphics models, bug fixes, a more solid 486 port) when

What is Brazil? Is it available? Is it a third release of Plan 9?

Thanks,

	Steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-04-14 16:14 UTC | newest]