* PC Dist
@ 1994-04-21 15:16 Vijay
From: Vijay @ 1994-04-21 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 21 Apr 1994, Dirk Vleugels wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I looked in the att ftp server for plan 9 and found the pcdist directory
> empty. Why? Isn't a PC distribution available? If so, where can i get one.
> And could you give me some hints about the machine requirements to run
> plan 9. I'm using a 486dx33 with 8M ram.
>
> Ciao
>
> - Dirk

Hmm, I am currently running plan 9 on a generic 486 dx/33 no name clone
with 4 megs of ram and 120 megs of hard disk while waiting for our PC's
to come in.  Using a unix filesever to bootstrap, I now have a stand
alone plan 9 system.  There are a couple of problems, I keep running out
or ram (with a 20 meg swap partiontion), swap /dev/swap doesn't seem to
do much for me.  The system is nice, but thats about it.

For the machine, disable shadow ram, and life will be much easier if you
have a magnum to set up as a fileserver.  If you don't, you really need a
unix system which can run u9fs, this makes life infintely easier when
trying to copy over the files.  Other than that, I'll let Forsyth, Capel
et al, handle this, they are much more familiar with this than I am.

Vijay Gill                         |The (paying) customer is always right.
wrath@cs.umbc.edu                  |                  - Piercarlo Grandi
vijay@gl.umbc.edu                  | Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
These are my opinions only.        | sucked into jet engines.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-04-21 15:16 UTC | newest]