From: Steve Kotsopoulos steve@ecf.toronto.edu
Subject: Faculty/license the only way to get plan 9?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:07:11 -0400	[thread overview]

Andrew Cowell <cowell@cs.utk.edu> wrote:
> if we have to wait for all the licensing to go through our legal department,
> it will probably be over a year

You must have quite a legal department. I only had to wait about 2 weeks.

> I seem to remember someone from the summer Usenix BOF throwing out a figure
> of $50.00.  Is that related to the licensing, or can we just buy it?

I held the BOF at Usenix, and posted a summary, but it didn't mention $50.

Here's part of the summary I posted:

: A new Plan 9 distribution will be worked on this summer, but it is unclear
: if it will be distributed. Please don't deluge the developers for more
: information regarding the licencing and release details.
:
: It will have acme and a fax service, and updated versions of alef, acid &
: authenticaion services.  The PC kernel now supports sound boards.
: The default porting base will be for PC's instead of Sparcs and Magnums.
: If legal details can be worked out, the Plan 9 developers hope that this
: CD will also be released publicly, so that anyone can buy it
: (again, this is what they HOPE ... no promises).

The new release is still being worked on, but we haven't heard if it will
be a 'public' release, or just for current licencees.