* installing Plan 9 on a PC
@ 1994-12-06 22:48 Frederick
From: Frederick @ 1994-12-06 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I'm a student at the Tech. University of Bern, Switzerland. I would like
to write a diploma thesis for my Master of Science in Computer Science
about Plan 9.

I already received all stuff (CD-ROM and manuals) from AT&T. At the moment
I'm trying to set up a standalone Plan 9 system on a PC to do my first steps
with Plan 9. Unfortuately I have some major problems.

I can boot my system (i486DX2 PC, VESA Bus, IDE harddisk) from the harddisk.
The kernel works fine, but can't locate the local file system (kfs) on the
harddisk. After selecting local as default file system I get the message:

fs...time...boot: /386/init: access permission denied
panic: boot process died: unknown

If somebody has successfully installed a Plan 9 standalone system on a PC,
please let me know what I have to do. I'm not shure if I get the latest re-
lease from AT&T. My CD-ROM has a printed label dated from 1992, but the
CD-ROM itself is dated from I/1993 (printed around the hole in the middle).
Do I possibly need another CD-ROM?

Because I'm really new to Plan 9 every answer is welcome.

best regards,
Frederick

Frederick L. Born           --   In this world, time is   --
born@dial.eunet.ch          --     a local phenomenon.    --

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-12-06 22:48 UTC | newest]