* How I get my Plan 9 CD-ROM
@ 1994-12-10 11:08 Frederick
From: Frederick @ 1994-12-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Frederick,
>
>My question is how did you get the CD-ROM from AT&T???
>
>What do you have to do to get them to send it???
>
>Information would be greatly appreciated???
>
>Thank You,
>
>Mike Marshall
>mmarshal@spd.dsccc.com

Mike,

I was very surprised about your mail. Is it realy so hard to get one of this
CD-ROM's? Well here's how I made it:

1. write a letter by mail (snail-mail) to Neera Kuckreja at AT&T
2. explain why you need Plan 9, maybe what you especially want to do
3. give some information about your person (if you are at an university
   give some information about your faculty)
4. after this Neera will send you an agreement. If you can agree to the
   terms and conditions you sign it and send it back
5. some days later (in my case about 14 days) you will receive a parcel
   from AT&T at your front-door

well that's it - ...abracadabra... - here's your CD-ROM. Sounds nice, but it's
true!

Frederick

* How I get my Plan 9 CD-ROM
@ 1994-12-13 10:14 Hans
From: Hans @ 1994-12-13 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frederick L. Born wrote:
!
! >Frederick,
! >
[...]

My case  is perhaps  a bit more  complicated.  I am  not working  for an
University,  but am  a member  of  a Computer  Club (called  Eindhovense
Computer Associatie).  Yeah, they are  still popular in Europe (at least
in  the Netherlands).   And as  a member  of that  club (so  pure hobby)
interested in obtaining a Plan-9  licence for our club (non-profit, just
for  fun/education  organisation).   Therefor  I want  to  ask  you  the
following questions:

1) Is it possible for such an organisation to obtain a licence?
2) What are the costs involved?

--

Kind Regards,

Hans van de Looy.

* How I get my Plan 9 CD-ROM
@ 1994-12-12 16:23 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1994-12-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <199412112320.KAA16061@octarine.cc.adfa.oz.au>, CJS Vance writes:
> philw@plan9.research.att.com wrote:
> |  You MUST be affiliated with an academic institution.
> |  The letter must be on a department letter head and
> |  the letter must be signed by a faculty member.
>
> Hmm,
>
> I sent a letter on 20 September to Ms Kuckreja, and have had no response
> whatsoever.  I understand a previous letter (sent by someone else) expressing

Our lab manager sent a letter 9/19...I'm not sure it was signed by a
a faculty member.  After receiving no response, a faculty member wrote
on 11/3.  We still have received absolutely no response.  I hope that
the delays are prompted by the pending release of the new version, but
any information back from Bell would be appreciated.

--
Andrew E. B. Cowell <cowell@cs.utk.edu> | You picked up your flag and kissed it
Sys Admin, Computer Science Department  | with your black volcanic lipstick.

* How I get my Plan 9 CD-ROM
@ 1994-12-11 23:20 CJS
From: CJS @ 1994-12-11 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

philw@plan9.research.att.com wrote:
|  You MUST be affiliated with an academic institution.
|  The letter must be on a department letter head and
|  the letter must be signed by a faculty member.

Hmm,

I sent a letter on 20 September to Ms Kuckreja, and have had no response
whatsoever.  I understand a previous letter (sent by someone else) expressing
interest was sent a number of _years_ ago, with a similar lack of response.
(I heard Rob Pike in Australia in about 1991, and was aware of the early
papers and manual from early on.)

I would like to get Plan 9.  I am lecturing at a University as full-time staff,
and was in 1991.  My letter was on deparment letterhead, and was signed by me.

The only thing I can think of which might have caused a problem is that I am
at a campus of the University 300 km away from the central administration.
I asked specifically in the latest letter to AT&T what the policy is on
multi-campus universities---license per institution or license per campus.
(I know our Unix license is per-institution, but I don't think anybody at
the main campus cares about Plan 9.)

I do know we gave up on getting the C++ sources from AT&T because they
insisted on sending our stuff through the 3-year long black hole in Japan.
(We waited a number of years for 1.1 or whatever, and had an order for v2
which never happened before v3 was released.)

So, how do I _really_ get Plan 9?  Like in my hands?

-- Christopher

* How I get my Plan 9 CD-ROM
@ 1994-12-10 19:53 philw
From: philw @ 1994-12-10 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)