* choosing PC hardware
@ 1995-03-10 14:46 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-03-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Right now I have a couple Mips Magnums in my office (1 terminal, 1 cpu server).

My department has a couple cast-off PCs, and I'm going to setup
one of them as a Plan9 system at home, but I no nothing about PCs.

The first choice is an IBM PS2 model 35LS (20MHz 386SX, EISA bus).
The other choice is an IBM PS2 model 57 (20MHz 386SX, MCA microchannel
bus, & SCSI controller integrated on the motherboard). Our resident
PC person thinks the second system is better because the bus is faster
and it has more internal drive bays (for CDROM & stuff).

I'd be using a 1Gig Seagate ST11200N disk on it, and probably buy
an Adaptek controller for the first system. I'm concerned that the
second system may give me problems if the SCSI controller or bus are
not supported.

Can anyone offer some advice on which one would be the better choice?
Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks,

	Steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-03-10 14:46 UTC | newest]