From: Scott Schwartz schwartz@galapagos.cse.psu.edu
Subject: imminent release
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 14:22:18 -0500	[thread overview]

| I just noticed that a SUN SLC takes longer to get
| to its boot prompt than it takes to build its kernel.

I take it this means it sill can't boot from a local disk?  tftp is
pretty slow; I haven't timed it, but it seems to go faster if you set
the workstation up as a regular diskless client and replace vmunix with
9ss ("boot net 9ss").

It you want the kernel build to take longer, try running on an 8M SLC.
The linker seems to take about 14M, so it ends up thrashing and taking
a very long time.

And speaking of Sun, is it my imagination or did they break TCP half
open connections in 4.1.3?  It seems to not notice when a connection is
severed and a new one attempted on the same port, which is exactly what
happens when you reboot an SLC that uses 9fs for its file server.