From: Jim Davis jdavis@cs.arizona.edu
Subject: comp.os.plan9
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 17:56:56 -0500	[thread overview]

Do we have consensus on the newsgroup?

- name: comp.os.plan9
- moderated
- bidirectionally gatewayed with this mailing list.

With the voting proposal backlog and the time needed for the RFD and
voting, this should get going soon.  I'll defer to Geoff Langdale if he'd
like to try again; otherwise I'd suggest the following charter and
rationale for a comp.os.plan9 RFD, and volunteer to take it up with the
Usenet powers-that-be.  Someone needs to volunteer to moderate; someone
else volunteering as backup moderator would be a good thing. And I assume
the list owner needs to agree to the gatewaying!

(If moderation is a hangup then that can be hashed out in the RFD phase,
but I'm pretty sure the odds of the developers participating will be
better if it's moderated.  And the moderation 'style' could consist of
just weeding out the bozo posts and chain letters.)

CHARTER

comp.os.plan9 is a moderated newsgroup for discussion of the Plan 9
operating system from Bell Labs.  It's a forum to ask questions and share
information about installing, administering, and using Plan 9 systems.
The newsgroup will be bidirectionally gatewayed with the Plan 9 mailing
list.

RATIONALE

Plan 9 is a computing system developed at the Computing Science Research
Center of AT&T Bell Laboratories.  First released in 1990, Plan 9 contains
many innovative ideas but is robust enough for production use.  There is
an active Plan 9 mailing list with several hundred readers.

Past releases of Plan 9 could only be licensed by universities. The next
release will be available to anyone, and run on a wide range of PCs.  This
will make running Plan 9 an option for many Usenet readers.

A Plan 9 newsgroup would let Plan 9 users help each other, and let anyone
interested in current operating system practice learn about Plan 9.