* plan 9 licenses
@ 1995-04-09 21:33 arnold
From: arnold @ 1995-04-09 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to thank Dr. Ritchie for his note about the license.
I think the fundamental question comes down to "how, if at all, can
we share our changes to Plan 9?"

If I (as a hypothetical example) add keyboard accelerators to Acme,
can I  a) post context diffs?  b) post an ed diff? c) do nothing but
explain how I did it?

(a) is of course the best choice, but context diffs contain licensed code.
(b) is likely to be acceptable, and maybe even work ok when applying the
changes, but who knows? (c) is just no fun at all.

Please don't think I'm harping, I'm not.  But the best part of the
early Unix days, and the current Linux/xyzBSD systems, is the renewed
ability to enhance and *share* with others.

And, for a technical question, is anyone planning a PowerPC port?
Or will that wait for Brazil? (:-)

Arnold

* plan 9 licenses
@ 1995-04-11 10:44 arnold
From: arnold @ 1995-04-11 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >>I think the fundamental question comes down to "how, if at all, can
> >>we share our changes to Plan 9?"
> Arnold Robbins asks a good question,

Which got promptly ignored. Sigh. I guess I'll have to wait to see the
license when it's posted.

> but then goes on to ...
> >>If I (as a hypothetical example) add keyboard accelerators to Acme,
> 150 hours of community service for that one, i think.

[Foghorn Leghorn voice] It's a joke, son, a joke! That boy has no
sense of humor ...

I would hope that even Rob laughed at it.

Arnold

* plan 9 licenses
@ 1995-04-11  7:16 serge
From: serge @ 1995-04-11  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>If I (as a hypothetical example) add keyboard accelerators to Acme,

>150 hours of community service for that one, i think.

I'm not so sure about this.  A mouse is nice, true, but it takes time to get
your hands from the keyboard to the mouse and back again (especially back
again, since you have to reposition them, e.g. if you're a touch typist).

Until we have better/more integrated keyboard/mouse input devices (e.g. on
one of the PC shows I saw a keyboard split in two, with each half acting as a
mouse by you just moving it around with [roughly] the palm of your hand), I
think the keyboard will remain very valuable.  For example, (one of the reasons
:-) I don't like Netscape is that it doesn't have easy keyboard shortcuts.

What do people (especially Plan9 ones :-) think?

* plan 9 licenses
@ 1995-04-10  8:00 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-04-10  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>I think the fundamental question comes down to "how, if at all, can
>>we share our changes to Plan 9?"
Arnold Robbins asks a good question, but then goes on to ...