* backups
@ 1995-04-25  9:13 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-04-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Just wondering... what do folks without WORM jukeboxes do for
>>backups?  I've just been copying important files over to

i configure the file server with a pseudo-worm for `main'
(and a plain file system for `other', for paging files).

the dump file system is so useful (and such a good demonstration)
that to me it's worth the pain of having to mkfs -a & mkext everything
every 5 months or so when the pseudo-worm fills up.
(the file server has only got 2 x 512Mb discs, holding both `main' and `other'.)
possibly i might get a 4 Gb or 9 Gb disc to act as a pseudo-worm,
making full dump/restore less frequent.

i also periodically dump (mkfs -a) the file system contents to tape via unix;
that's just in case the scsi discs blow up that hold the pseudo-worm.
it's tempting to add mirroring code to the file server instead.

at home i simply dump the disc to a scsi tape.

juke boxes are not too expensive now, but i haven't got the money for one.
otherwise i'd get one.  `9fs dump' is Very Useful (not just for backups --
i rarely destroy files -- but for things like `diff -r `{yesterday .} .')

* backups
@ 1995-04-25 15:34 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-04-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>| i configure the file server with a pseudo-worm for `main'
>>| (and a plain file system for `other', for paging files).

>>What about a cache for the pseudo-worm?

i was including that as part of the pseudo-worm.  i don't think
you can run it without the cache, since the cache size limits how
much can change between dumps.

anyhow, here's my disc config

config w0
filsys main cp[w0w1]10.20fp[w0w1]30.70
filsys dump o
filsys other p[w0w1]0.10

w0 and w1 are both 512 Mb Fujitsu drives.  the file server is
a 486sx33 (don't need floating-point) with 16 Mbytes and
an Ultrastor 14F controller.

* backups
@ 1995-04-25 14:46 Scott
From: Scott @ 1995-04-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

| i configure the file server with a pseudo-worm for `main'
| (and a plain file system for `other', for paging files).

What about a cache for the pseudo-worm?

| at home i simply dump the disc to a scsi tape.

I was afraid of that. :-)