* A question...
@ 1995-06-05 12:47 Gary
From: Gary @ 1995-06-05 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thought the list might be interested in this question as well.

> G'day!
>
> ...or as we say in Sweden "God dag!" I stumbled over your short
> (to-the-point) article on Plan 9, specifically on its "Differences from
> Unix". Being, I admit, a DOS/Windows person and judging from the little bit
> I've learnt so far, Plan 9 seems very promising and its philosophy appeals
> to me greatly. However, your article states that a three-button mouse is
> assumed. Is this true for developers only or does it disqulify Plan 9 from
> touch-screen GUI applications on hand-held on-line terminals?

The current GUI tools all assume a three-button mouse, but the
libraries don't.  There's nothing to stop people writing other GUIs for
terminals that are rodentially challenged.

> Thanks a parking lot
>
> Otto Medin (om@gambro.se)

* a question
@ 1995-10-07 14:36 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-10-07 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't tried this, but perhaps you could borrow 4Meg from another system
to get you past the install process (where 8meg is needed to expand the
diskettes). After the install is done, you MAY be able to run with only
4Meg if you set the vga at a low resolution and/or depth, or perhaps
fiddle with the kernelpercent parameter in plan9.ini(8).

* a question
@ 1995-10-07 11:02 Alexandr
From: Alexandr @ 1995-10-07 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a small question concerning the 'small is beautiful' paradigm :)
Ok, so I read the hardware requirements in 'Installing PC distribution' and saw
that one needs 8 Mb. I also tried installing on 4 Mb machine (that's all I
currently have) and got kernel's 'no physical memory' during vdexpand
execution. And last, but not least :), the description of Plan 9 says it will
run comfortablin 4 Mb on a laptop. Here goes a contradiction :) - so how I'm
supposed to install on such a 4 Mb system?

So, on the practical side, can I do anything except adding another 4 megs, to
install? Perhaps boot somehow in a minimum config and set up a swap space? Any
comments are appreciated.

Please reply direct as I'm not currently subscribed to 9fans.

Alexandr

--- GoldED 2.41