* international orders
@ 1995-07-18 21:51 Stefan
From: Stefan @ 1995-07-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> how are other international enquiries faring?
> according to the woman on 1-407-... she has had enquiries from Germany
> which were also referred back to the local HB company.
> are things working more smoothly there?
> should i take this opportunity to try the Channel Tunnel?
Our `local' HB company is the one in the UK.

Stefan

* international orders
@ 1995-07-18 19:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-07-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks for giving the non-800 number for AT&T Software Solutions.

as regards ordering the distribution kit, and just the manuals,
was the AT&T hope, understanding, or possibly even the intention that the international
number (1-407-345-3800) be usable by people outside the US to place orders?
the person who answered my call in the US was very pleasant, knew what plan 9
was, had the information to hand, but could not take an order;
she could only refer me to the UK-based relative of HB & Co.
(i think it is something like Harcourt Brace Jobanovich).
i expressed some concern about this, since i'd been through
all this once before with the 10th Edition manuals,
and it was a nightmare.

anyhow, i agreed to ring HBJ in London.
the sales desk knew nothing about it. neither ISBN was on their files.
on discovering that it was just coming available in the US
i was connected to someone in the marketing department,
who also could find nothing about it.
i gave her the 1-407 number, and she was going
to speak to her marketing manager and to people in the US.
she explained that what usually happened after publication in the US,
before availability in the UK, was:
	1. a delay whilst the people here work out `sterling pricing' for the item.
	2. about an eight week delay for shipment by sea
	   (that can be eliminated by insisting on DHL shipment,
	   at higher cost, reasonably enough).
i expressed some concern about this, since i'd been through all
this once before with the 10th Edition manuals,
and it was a nightmare.  it was probably the worst case i can remember of
my being more willing to buy something that the vendor was to sell it.
it wasn't just me, or the UK for that matter: i got someone in Canada
to try to get the v10 manuals for me, and he got thoroughly exasperated too.
still, that was five years ago, and i'd
have expected them to have got international database access
maybe even e-mail, etc. by now, and perhaps a little forward planning?
do the various parts of HB really not talk to each other?

equally worrying is this talk of `sterling pricing', because i know what that
usually means ... normal books that might sell for (say) $35.00
end up being priced at not quite that amount in sterling.

really, i just want to do what i do with computer components and other things:
ring a US number, give my Amex details, and pay a decent price plus Fedex/DHL shipping,
and duty+VAT on the CDROM (the manuals aren't taxable).  are there any US bookshops
that do mail orders and will stock this stuff?