* three button mice
@ 1995-07-28 13:23 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-07-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

aux/mouse -dC $mouseport

usually does the trick.  many three button mice
do not respond to aux/mouse's guessing protocol, but you can tell it what to
use as the default.  on starting the demonstration system,
answer `n' when the system asks if you want
to enter the window system.  once you type the aux/mouse command above,
you should be able to move the mouse.  you can then enter
the window system and enjoy yourself.  (while you're there,
you can change /rc/bin/termrc to add the -dC option to the aux/mouse
commands there.)  of course, if you still can't move the mouse,
you'll need to try another default.

-d isn't documented in the manual page, but that fact is
documented somewhere (i can't find it now).  perhaps it was in
the Errata.

* three button mice
@ 1995-07-31  5:34 Jeremy
From: Jeremy @ 1995-07-31  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> aux/mouse -dC $mouseport
>
> usually does the trick.  many three button mice
> do not respond to aux/mouse's guessing protocol, but you can tell it what to
> use as the default.

Thanks.  I found the -d option (with a bit of poking with db - I
saw the debug messages, so I guessed there must be a way to turn
them on), but I didn't find -C.  I found that Logitech mice worked
so long as you didn't even look at the beast while it was being
prodded by aux/mouse.  Does aux/mouse do Mousesystems/Genius mice?
I'd thought they were the same as Logitech, but perhaps not (I'll
try -C on mine and see what happens).

Once I got that going, a great deal of time just disappeared...
It's very exciting being faced with a new system where
you're not completely lost, but the territory isn't familiar.

> -d isn't documented in the manual page, but that fact is
> documented somewhere (i can't find it now).  perhaps it was in
> the Errata.

I'll check it out.

Thanks again,