* plan 9 for sun 3/60
@ 1995-07-31 16:17 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-07-31 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Has Plan 9 been ported to Sun 3s? If so, is the Sun code on the CD?

the CD includes support for several systems based on the 680x0 architecture
(gnot and next).  it does not include a kernel that will run on a Sun.
based in part on the existing 68020 support on the CDs,
several people ported older versions of Plan 9 to bits of the Sun-3 line.
i did one locally for the sun-3/50 and sun-3/60; since i'm still using
it, i'll probably do the modest amount of work required to get the
new version running.  i'm not promising anything though, since i might
just buy some PCs instead.

* plan 9 for sun 3/60
@ 1995-08-01 13:27 David
From: David @ 1995-08-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:
>several people ported older versions of Plan 9 to bits of the Sun-3 line.
>i did one locally for the sun-3/50 and sun-3/60; since i'm still using
>it, i'll probably do the modest amount of work required to get the
>new version running.  i'm not promising anything though, since i might
>just buy some PCs instead.

I'm one of the several.  I actually have the new system running on 3/50s
and 3/60s.  At some stage I will tidy this up and make it available to
anyone who cares (and has a valid license).

I also have 80% of a port of Plan 9 to the DEC Alpha architecture.  Currently
only axp 400s and 500s.  I plan to make this available when I reach 85% :-)
I'm hoping that someone out there who has a spare alpha will help to finish it off.

Since both of these ports are derived from Plan 9, I am only allowed to give
them to other licencees.  This will mean checking with AT&T that you
actually have a licence.

Please note that I am not quite ready to distribute the alpha port -- preparing
the distribution will take time, which I am short of at the moment.  I am telling
you all this to try to avoid duplication of effort.  I'll announce to the list when
it's ready -- hopefully within a month.