* Load sharing in Plan 9
@ 1995-08-05 16:01 Gary
From: Gary @ 1995-08-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think 'cpu' is the most sophisticated load-sharing command.  You could
use this to easily implement a coarse-grain parallel make, but I suspect
most of the time you'd be better off with the Pentium.

* Load sharing in Plan 9
@ 1995-08-05 16:39 Sandy
From: Sandy @ 1995-08-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Given a PC running Plan 9, one user & a desire for more computational
horsepower (mainly for large compiles & CPU-eating background jobs like
searching for factors of huge numbers), I can afford:

either    another PC, 16 megs, fast 486 or low-end Pentium
or        half a dozen Sun 3/60s each with 16 megs & 20 MHz 68020

Costs on these are roughly equal.

Does Plan 9 have load-sharing support to make the multi-Sun
configuration an interesting parallel compute server? Or has
anyone ported PVM or other similar code?

 --
 Sandy Harris
 sharris@fox.nstn.ns.ca