From: Daniel Egnor egnor@whip.ugcs.caltech.edu
Subject: 387 required? *and* Memory errors? Mothra sucks?
Date: Sat,  5 Aug 1995 12:20:12 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <95Aug5.024030edt.46619@colossus.cse.psu.edu>,
 <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:

>The "no physical memory" messages can be removed by turning on swapping.
>Choose a swap partition and point swap at it; see swap(8). It is not enabled
>by default because the system cannot safely identify a partition to use; you
>must set one up.  The announcement about how much swap space reflects the size
>of an internal data structure.

Neato!  I will do this, thanks (though I will have to wait for the CD).
People who have done this, what happens when some process starts chewing up
VM?  Can you set process limits in Plan 9?

>A `urlfs' would be folly, because URLs are not a real name space and the
>semantics are utterly unmanageable.

What is meant by this, in particular?  Maybe I will re-read some of the papers
to try to understand more fully the concept of a Plan 9 "name space"...

>The argument is analogous to that which prevented us from putting network
>names in the file name space.  As for mothra, the interface may be lame but
>I wonder why you think that, given that you have not got the CD
>and therefore probably haven't seen it.

A version of mothra comes with the four disk set.

>Its bugs, as said in the manual, are because it is a very new program.

*nod* -- "early alpha".

Dan