From: Steven Plite splite@wdni.com
Subject: VGA problems
Date: Sun,  6 Aug 1995 01:16:33 -0400	[thread overview]

When we last left our protagonist, he was fruitlessly trying to get the
4-floppy dist running on his 386DX/40:

> If the system hangs on boot before a message from dossrv appears on
> the CGA screen then aux/vga blew it. You can prevent aux/vga from runni=
ng

Okay, so aux/vga is blowing it.  If I remove the "monitor=3D" line from
plan9.ini, I'm left at a shell prompt in CGA mode.

> Manually run aux/vga to see if it can put the VGA card into the basic
> 640x480x1 mode which all compatible cards should support:
> 	aux/vga -lvp > /tmp/x

Okay.  This causes the same flash I was getting, then returns to the shel=
prompt.  /tmp/x contains:

	tag =3D Tnone; expected Tfile

I tried fiddling with the entry for the PowerGraph X-24 in /lib/vgadb, su=
ch as
commenting out the lines following "link=3Dvga".  No help.  I also change=
d the
BIOS ID string, to make sure vga(8) was actually recognizing my card.  It=
 is.

I'd give up on this card, except that it's supposedly supported (first en=
try
in vgadb, even.)  Do I have an old rev?  The stickers on the video BIOS c=
hips
say V1.4, although the BIOS dump showed "X-24 BIOS Ver. 2.01".  Is the S3=
 801
driver in the 4-floppy dist broken with respect to the X-24?

Would the dump from "aux/vga -pv" give anybody an idea?  Or should I just=
 bag
it?  Thanks for the help.
______
Steven Plite  <splite@wdni.com>       Open Systems Eng. & Support, Weyerh=
aeuser
    "This is the roller coaster of endless and violent vomit."	-- Jason F=
ox