* link=3Dvga; broken f.s.
@ 1995-08-08 17:02 Steven
From: Steven @ 1995-08-08 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Something to pipe splite's mail through: ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/pcdist/unmime.c.
> The format his mail is in is mime quoted mode.  Unmime, if given an argument,
> will unpack multipart mime messages into separate files.  It's worth the price
> and not much more.

That shouldn't be necessary anymore.  I think I have HP's mailx beaten into
submission now.

> Mime is not from Bell Labs, its from Bellcore.  We're in the same state and
> we both have something to do with telephones but we're not the same company.

If I had disengaged my mouth (err... fingers) and used my brain, I would have
remembered that.  Obviously, it's been too long since I poked around with MIME.
Sorry if anyone was insulted (like saying a Yale man went to Harvard. :)

Sorry again for the confusion.
Steven Plite  <splite@wdni.com>       Open Systems Eng. & Support, Weyerhaeuser
    "This is the roller coaster of endless and violent vomit."	-- Jason Fox

* link=3Dvga; broken f.s.
@ 1995-08-08 12:50 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-08-08 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something to pipe splite's mail through: ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/pcdist/unmime.c.
The format his mail is in is mime quoted mode.  Unmime, if given an argument,
will unpack multipart mime messages into separate files.  It's worth the price
and not much more.

Mime is not from Bell Labs, its from Bellcore.  We're in the same state and
we both have something to do with telephones but we're not the same company.

The quoted mode uses = as an escape.  ='s followed by cr's mean ignore
the cr.  ='s followed by 2 characters of hex should be replaced by the
character whose value is the hex.  Thus =3D is really just =.

* link=3Dvga; broken f.s.
@ 1995-08-07 23:36 Scott
From: Scott @ 1995-08-07 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> splite@wdni.com's mailer seems to be using =3D as an escape (3D is `=3D=').
>
>Yeah.  I'm going to build MH this afternoon.  HP's mailx has (broken) metamail
>support.  (Hmmm... metamail came from BL too.  Coincidence or conspiracy? :)

Bell Labs != Bellcore

Sm

* link=3Dvga; broken f.s.
@ 1995-08-07 18:30 Steven
From: Steven @ 1995-08-07 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> 2) i don't understand the reference to "link=3D3Dvga", you haven't be=
en
>>> fiddling with aux/vga without a licence have you?
> =

> splite@wdni.com's mailer seems to be using =3D as an escape (3D is `=3D=
').

Yeah.  I'm going to build MH this afternoon.  HP's mailx has (broken) met=
amail
support.  (Hmmm... metamail came from BL too.  Coincidence or conspiracy?=
 :)

>>>prompt.  /tmp/x contains:
>>>	tag =3D Tnone; expected Tfile
> =

> that probably signifies a corrupt file system; that looks to me like a
> message from disk/kfs (or /fs).

Ahh... the light of realization dawns.

> it isn't surprising there are problems if the system hung up
> and had to be reset before a disk/kfscmd halt could be done.
> (if it happens again, wait about 30 seconds before resetting
> to give it a chance to sync automatically; normally the f.s. will
> then be consistent.)

I've been wondering how Plan 9 dealt with a corrupted filesystem.  I figu=
red
that resetting without halt'ing would screw something, but it never compl=
ained
on boot, so I (wrongly) assumed the fs was okay.

> disk/kfscmd 'check' will show the extent of the damage, but
> the demo. system is small enough that there aren't any optional files;
> something is bound to break later.

"optional files"?

> while it is possible to make the curdled file system consistent again u=
sing
> the options to disk/kfscmd 'check', it's probably better to unpack the
> distribution again into a remade file system.

I'll do that.  Thanks.

(Sorry about all the bandwidth.  I'm reading the docs as fast as I can, b=
ut
it's hard (for me, anyway) to learn a system without having a working one=
play with.)
______

@ 1995-08-06 16:20 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-08-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>2) i don't understand the reference to "link=3Dvga", you haven't been fiddling
>>   with aux/vga without a licence have you?

splite@wdni.com's mailer seems to be using = as an escape (3D is `=').

anyhow, as far as this goes: