* What causes ``panic: ataintr: read/ident'' in 9DOS?
@ 1995-08-09 13:03 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-08-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

It means that after getting an interrupt from the hard disk
we didn't see it come ready or announce an error in a
timely fashion.

Try copying b.com and 9dos (under DOS) to c:\ and then running

c:\> b hd!0!9dos

to see if at least the driver in b.com can understand
the disk.  If this doesn't work, I can always make a
more informative 9dos to try to track down the problem.

* What causes ``panic: ataintr: read/ident'' in 9DOS?
@ 1995-08-13 13:58 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-08-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

fst@@claircom.com writes:

	Dear Rosanne Rosanadanna,

	I am having trouble installing the 3 dis[ck] demo set; This is a
	Toshiba T2450CT laptop (75MHz i486DX4, 8MB, TFT VGA, 320MB IDE, and
	AccuPoint).

	The problem occurs on the first dis[ck] when B.COM is invoked on the
	A: drive.  B.COM seems to find, load, and run 9DOS.  Here is what it
	says:

	1269 free pages, 5076K bytes, swap 32596K, highwater 252K, headroom 312K
	CPU is a 74 MHz IntelDX4 (cpuid: ax 480 dx 3)
	pcmcia controller0 is a 1 slot Cirrus Logic PD6710
	fs...time...panic: ataintr: read/ident
	exiting

	Any ideas?

We took this off line.  After a few go arounds we figured out that the
drive was sending us ident info that Plan 9 didn't understand.  We made
the driver more robust in the face of rediculous info.  The diffs are
in http://plan9.att.com/plan9/errata/devata.c.diff.  I also made a
version of disk1, ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/pcdist/disk1.2 with the
changes included.

* What causes ``panic: ataintr: read/ident'' in 9DOS?
@ 1995-08-10 16:07 Fariborz
From: Fariborz @ 1995-08-10 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

     > c:\> b hd!0!9dos

The same panic message appears.  FYI, the disk controller is in
Enhanced IDE mode, and I'm unable to change it to Standard IDE mode.

Thanks

* What causes ``panic: ataintr: read/ident'' in 9DOS?
@ 1995-08-09  3:20 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-09  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

boot dos and execute 'a:\b hd!0'.
this will show if b.com has the same problem (it won't touch the hard disc if
it detects there's a floppy installed). also, b.com has a debugging print installed
for this case.

it may be something like the cmos indicates there is a hard disc but the disc/controller
is in some sleep mode we don't know how to get out of.

* What causes ``panic: ataintr: read/ident'' in 9DOS?
@ 1995-08-09  2:51 Fariborz
From: Fariborz @ 1995-08-09  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having trouble installing the 3 dis[ck] demo set; This is a
Toshiba T2450CT laptop (75MHz i486DX4, 8MB, TFT VGA, 320MB IDE, and
AccuPoint).

The problem occurs on the first dis[ck] when B.COM is invoked on the
A: drive.  B.COM seems to find, load, and run 9DOS.  Here is what it
says:

1269 free pages, 5076K bytes, swap 32596K, highwater 252K, headroom 312K
CPU is a 74 MHz IntelDX4 (cpuid: ax 480 dx 3)
pcmcia controller0 is a 1 slot Cirrus Logic PD6710
fs...time...panic: ataintr: read/ident
exiting

Any ideas?

P.S.
(1) An older Toshiba (T4600) installation of the demo set was
    successful.
(2) For the troubled T2450CT,  I followed the instructions in the
    ``Read this section if you have trouble installing on the PC''
    section, and got the same result.