* mouse quirk
@ 1995-08-09 17:28 Roger
From: Roger @ 1995-08-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

i wrote:
> a small problem with our (serial) mouse. it works fine except...

problem seems to be solved - use a logitech mouse.

i tried 4 different types of serial mouse before finally getting
hold of a logitech mouse to try. all of them exhibit the same
problem (except the ones with a 2/3 button switch, which gave
an 'unknown mouse type' error when in 3 button mode)

the doc. doesn't seem to mention any possible compatibility probs
with non-logitech mice, and i know nothing about PC hardware;
has anyone out there got a non-logitech mouse to work (without
messing with the drivers) ?

sorry to bother you.

  cheers,
    rog.

* mouse quirk
@ 1995-08-18 13:26 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-08-18 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i wrote:
> > a small problem with our (serial) mouse. it works fine except...
>
> problem seems to be solved - use a logitech mouse.
>
> i tried 4 different types of serial mouse before finally getting
> hold of a logitech mouse to try. all of them exhibit the same
> problem (except the ones with a 2/3 button switch, which gave
> an 'unknown mouse type' error when in 3 button mode)
>
> the doc. doesn't seem to mention any possible compatibility probs
> with non-logitech mice, and i know nothing about PC hardware;
> has anyone out there got a non-logitech mouse to work (without
> messing with the drivers) ?

	It was even more strange for me. The first time I installed Plan9
it didn't recognize the mouse I tried; the second time, it worked.
(It's a Dexxa, I guess it's mouse-systems compatible)

	Regards,

	Borja.

Borja Marcos               | Preferred: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Alangoeta, 11, 1. izq.     | Others:    borjamar@mx.sarenet.es
48990 - Algorta (Vizcaya)  |            100015.3502@compuserve.com
SPAIN                      | CIS:       100015,3502

* mouse quirk
@ 1995-08-09 23:42 Henry
From: Henry @ 1995-08-09 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> i tried 4 different types of serial mouse before finally getting
> hold of a logitech mouse to try. all of them exhibit the same
> problem (except the ones with a 2/3 button switch, which gave
> an 'unknown mouse type' error when in 3 button mode)
>
> the doc. doesn't seem to mention any possible compatibility probs
> with non-logitech mice, and i know nothing about PC hardware;
> has anyone out there got a non-logitech mouse to work (without
> messing with the drivers) ?

I use a mouse off of an HP X-terminal that seems to work just fine with the
demo distribution (mind you, it might be a Logitech in disguise).

Henry (henry@instantiated.on.ca)
 THERE'S SMALL CHOICE IN A BOWL OF ROTTEN APPLES.
                     SHAKESPEARE
 (Taken from GAUSSIAN 88)

* mouse quirk
@ 1995-08-09 18:39 Mikhail
From: Mikhail @ 1995-08-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i tried 4 different types of serial mouse before finally getting
> hold of a logitech mouse to try. all of them exhibit the same
> problem (except the ones with a 2/3 button switch, which gave
> an 'unknown mouse type' error when in 3 button mode)
>
> the doc. doesn't seem to mention any possible compatibility probs
> with non-logitech mice, and i know nothing about PC hardware;
> has anyone out there got a non-logitech mouse to work (without
> messing with the drivers) ?

aux/mouse -dC  detects MouseSystem interface serial mouse for me
(generic $10 mouse with 2/3 button switch on 3).

--
mestrin@eecs.uic.edu
"All Men Play on Ten"

* mouse quirk
@ 1995-08-09  7:49 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-08-09  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bawr. Boo, hiss. I'm coming to the conclusion that the crappy
Dell 316SX i've got here just isn't compatible, somehow. I can
get it to boot in text mode ok, but the vga stuff just won't
work, even in 640x480x1. And we've tried three video cards in
it now (the on-board Paradise one, a Video Seven and a Trident).
We've added each to vgadb as a simple card, by putting an address
and string under the "Don't know enough" entry, but still no
dice. The damn thing just hangs, every time. Sigh.

It's good, then, is it?

steve

* mouse quirk
@ 1995-08-08 18:59 Roger
From: Roger @ 1995-08-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

a small problem with our (serial) mouse. it works fine
except the middle button doesn't work; the right button sometimes
acts as the middle button, and sometimes as itself (opening
/dev/mouse sometimes switches it from one to the other - bizarre...)

is this likely to be because of an unknown mouse type (aux/mouse doesn't
complain) or something more arcane ? (the same problem occurs with two mice
of the same sort)

on an unrelated note, what's the status of the CDA tools with respect to
the current release - are they available under a separate license ?

  thanks,
    rog.