* help -- 486/33, adaptec scsi, dies on extract of disk2.
@ 1995-08-10  9:04 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1995-08-10  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Anyhow, I had exactly the same problem with a similar 1542 based
> > system, so I bought an IDE drive. I still had the problem; at least
> > I'm sure I did; now I'm not so sure since two more people are
> > reporting it with an Adaptec 1542.
>
> I had the same problem while my floppy drives were connected to a generic
> multifunction I/O card.  Moving the drives to the floppy controller on my 1542
> fixed the problem for me.

Hmm. Tried that. Tried everything. Is yours a 1542B or C?

* help -- 486/33, adaptec scsi, dies on extract of disk2.
@ 1995-08-10  9:01 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1995-08-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 3. Apparently you can fetch a BIOS upgrade for the AHA-1542 from Adaptec's Web
> site.  One of our sysadmins here reports that this enabled him to run Linuxm
> with no problems.  You'll need a prom burner and access to:
>      http://www.adaptec.com/techsupp/bbs_eprm.htm
>
> If I try this myself I'll report what happens.

Yes, I'm in the process as well. My 1542B needs 2 EPROMS, one for
BIOS, the other for microcode (8085 assembler). On the grounds nobody
uses 200nS 27c128s anymore I've been scrounging from peoples junk
boxes. I've found one so far, and have leads for the other!

* help -- 486/33, adaptec scsi, dies on extract of disk2.
@ 1995-08-10  9:00 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-08-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've had this error a lot, although to be honest, the floppy drive
on this machine is suspect anyway. I found that retrying eventually
got the disk to read ok. Took about an hour of retrying, though.
Luckily, I had other stuff to get on with. :-)

steve

* help -- 486/33, adaptec scsi, dies on extract of disk2.
@ 1995-08-09 19:39 Steven
From: Steven @ 1995-08-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>  /bin/rc
>>>  The error was:
>>>  rc 30:vdexpand 31:fail |
>>>  Press any key to continue...
>>
>> I have the same problem (but the exact message varies) on a Dell Optiplex
>> 486/66 with Adaptec 1542 controller.
>
> [ explanation deleted ]
>
> Anyhow, I had exactly the same problem with a similar 1542 based
> system, so I bought an IDE drive. I still had the problem; at least
> I'm sure I did; now I'm not so sure since two more people are
> reporting it with an Adaptec 1542.

I had the same problem while my floppy drives were connected to a generic
multifunction I/O card.  Moving the drives to the floppy controller on my 1542
fixed the problem for me.
Steven Plite  <splite@wdni.com>       Open Systems Eng. & Support, Weyerhaeuser
    "This is the roller coaster of endless and violent vomit."	-- Jason Fox

* help -- 486/33, adaptec scsi, dies on extract of disk2.
@ 1995-08-09 17:08 Berry
From: Berry @ 1995-08-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

l>>>"Nigel Roles" said:
 > Solutions?
 >
 > 1. ... patch .. binary of 9dos so that it loads the images from
 >  "/n/c:/disk*.vd" not " /n/a:/disk*.vd".
 >
 > 2. Wait till the CD-ROM release!

3. Apparently you can fetch a BIOS upgrade for the AHA-1542 from Adaptec's Web
site.  One of our sysadmins here reports that this enabled him to run Linuxm
with no problems.  You'll need a prom burner and access to:
     http://www.adaptec.com/techsupp/bbs_eprm.htm

If I try this myself I'll report what happens.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

* help -- 486/33, adaptec scsi, dies on extract of disk2.
@ 1995-08-09  8:43 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1995-08-09  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >  /bin/rc
> >  The error was:
> >  rc 30:vdexpand 31:fail |
> >  Press any key to continue...
>
> I have the same problem (but the exact message varies) on a Dell Optiplex
> 486/66 with Adaptec 1542 controller.

This is a DMA overrun on the floppy controller, caused by the disk
cache flushing to the HD as vdexpand goes to the floppy for the next
chunk. For reasons I don't yet understand, the floppy controller
cannot seize the bus in time. Both the FreeBSD and Linux floppy
drivers have a "retry forever on DMA overrun" strategy, and change
comments saying "fixed the DMA overrun bug". Anyone out there know
why this is such a problem?

Anyhow, I had exactly the same problem with a similar 1542 based
system, so I bought an IDE drive. I still had the problem; at least
I'm sure I did; now I'm not so sure since two more people are
reporting it with an Adaptec 1542.

Solutions?

1. At least one person I know patched the binary of 9dos so that it
loads the images from "/n/c:/disk*.vd" not " /n/a:/disk*.vd". He said
that the floppy still needed to be in the drive, but it read from c:.
That was on an AMD 386/40 with an Adaptec 1542.

2. Wait till the CD-ROM release!