* sparc kernels and bootp
@ 1995-08-15 12:47 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-08-15 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having hours of fun attempting to get a Sun SLC booted without going
through all the usual routine of setting up a PC fileserver. This is
because I haven't got a PC that (a) will work with aux/vga (b) has enough
disk space for the CD-ROM. However.

The basic problem is that the sparc kernel doesn't seem to be using BOOTP.
I've entered the relevant stuff in bootparams on the SS2 I'm running u9fs
and tftpd on, but the SLC doesn't seem to send out any requests for this
info. It just prompts every time. It gets a little wearing to have to
enter ip, ipmask, ipgw, etc. every time I have to reboot the SLC (which
is quite often; I haven't got it all the way up yet), and I tend to
make typos...

So, should the sparc kernel be using BOOTP?

steve

* sparc kernels and bootp
@ 1995-08-15 13:52 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-08-15 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

bootparams has nothing to do with BOOTP.  bootparams is used by
sun's very own /usr/etc/rpc.bootparamd, which uses SUN RPC/XDR.
actually, i'm curious how you encoded the information in bootparams.
anyhow, pick up the Unix bootp daemon from plan9.att.com in /plan9/unixsrc/bootp/ .
that version replies correctly to a plan 9 bootp request
(there's a convention for `vendor specific' data).
the daemon might require changes to work on a Sun.  most things do.
the sparc Plan 9 kernel is the same as all the others in its
use of bootp (that part is in portable code).