From: Brian Rogers brogers@integctr.com
Subject: HELP WANTED----plan9 overwrote linux partition
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 13:22:55 -0400	[thread overview]

[ Cc's are being sent to others who might get a laugh out of this. ]

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Xiao Ke wrote:
> Help wanted, Plan9, the so boasted next generation os is just a piece of
> junk. This time, AT&T really picked a good name for plan9.
>
> I've run linux1.2.0 for about a half year, everything seems OK.
> Today, I download the plan9 to play with, it looks working too.
> However, actually when I was installing plan9, it overwrote my linux
> partition without any pre-warning.

----- RTFM -----

If you had read the ERRATA, you would have known about this and known how
to avoid it.  I didn't read the ERRATA and my Linux partition was also
blasted, but I don't blame Plan 9.  I blame my impatience and
over-confidence.  How can you complain about a product that you didn't pay
for?  Also, AT&T warns the world that Plan 9 is only for research and
educational purposes; it is not a production OS and AT&T has warned us
that they will not support it.  How can you complain about the behavior of
product that is unsupported?  Also, how can you deride the OS just because
of this?  Unix had the same start.

You and I should have been more careful.  We should have known better than
to trust such a product so much.  When I discovered the damage that the
installation had done, I was upset but not indignant; after all, I hadn't
even read the instructions or looked for warnings.  I had seen ERRATA and
failed to read it.

Remember, it's not necessarily safe sex just because the girl is pretty.

Also, you should have backed up your valuable files beforehand.  This is
strictly common sense and no one's responsibility but yours.

/* Brian Rogers -- tech admin, coffee achiever -- brogers@integctr.com  */
/* The Integrity Center    --   "objective risk management information" */
/*           http://www.integctr.com/   --   info@integctr.com          */
/*  (214)484-6140  (800)456-1811  FAX (214)484-6381  FOD (214)484-2147  */