From: jmk@plan9.att.com jmk@plan9.att.com
Subject: floppy boot on Pentium
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 17:13:10 -0400	[thread overview]

I've applied the dma overrun fix to b.com, the boostrap programme.
A new image of disk1 is available via ftp, disk1.3.

When we were testing the distribution there was one system that consistently
gave truly appalling floppy performance and we could never pin down why, it
was an NCR Globalyst 600 with a P90. We have other 90MHz systems that give no
trouble.

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Booting directly from floppy (like the 1st disk of the 4 disk set)
does not work on our Pentium PC's when they are running at full speed.

It gets part way through the load and fails with "premature EOF"
(fails at different point every time).

It does work if:
	- turn off cache (in BIOS)
	- or set clock rate to 25Mhz
	- or boot DOS then run b

Looks like the boot block program is not setting up something
related to the floppy controller (or has a silly spin loop).

-sch