From: jmk@plan9.att.com jmk@plan9.att.com
Subject: Help wanted, Plan9 a piece of junk!
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 22:34:46 -0400	[thread overview]

I took a look in comp.os.linux.misc and felt right at home - there were articles
about weird hangs trying to install distributions, hardware not being recognised,
mice not being found, filesystems being trashed (NOT related to Plan 9), etc.

	From: bhogan@rahul.net (Bill Hogan)
	Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
	Subject: Re: Help wanted, Plan9 a piece of junk!
	Date: 14 Aug 1995 22:26:05 GMT

	"XK" == Xiao Ke <xke@paul.rutgers.edu> writes:
	In article <40p6oe$q2t@paul.rutgers.edu> xke@paul.rutgers.edu (Xiao Ke) writes:

	  XK> Hi, there,
	  XK> Help wanted, Plan9, the so boasted next generation os is just a piece of
	  XK> junk. This time, AT&T really picked a good name for plan9.

	  XK> I've run linux1.2.0 for about a half year, everything seems OK.
	  XK> Today, I download the plan9 to play with, it looks working too.
	  XK> However, actually when I was installing plan9, it overwrote my linux
	  XK> partition without any pre-warning.

	  XK> My linux partition is not bootable now, and I try to boot from floppy,
	  XK> and do fsck on it, it says: "bad magic number". So definately
	  XK> plan9 overwrote my linux partition.

	  XK> I want to recover my more than half-year work, since I don't have tape
	  XK> backup. Please help! Any suggestion will be mostly appreciated.
	  XK> I guess this is doable, since my linux partition occupies 400Mbytes,
	  XK> while plan9 only occupies 20Mbytes according to its installation notes,
	  XK> so it looks like the rest 380Mbytes should be able to recoverd, sounds
	  XK> reasonable?

	  XK> Thanks,

	  XK> -----Xiao Ke
	  XK> xke@paul.rutgers.edu

	   Hello Xiao.

	     I do not know if you will be able to salvage what used to be your
	Linux partition or not.

	     I do know that the plan9 installation guide is something I would
	be ashamed to have appear in print under my name.

	     Given that ATT is apparently planning on *selling* plan9 at $350
	per, and given the availability of packages like the Slackware Linux
	book/CDROM at < $50 per, I find it totally amazing that ATT would put
	out such a half-baked, half-hearted PC/plan9 demo package!

	     Some demo.

	     Up until now I had thought I was having a problem because I could
	not reboot plan9/B after it was installed on my hard drive but now I
	count myself fortunate it didn't.

	     Bill

	--
	<bhogan@rahul.net> |- "5. Improve constantly and forever the system of
	production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus