From: Brian Ward bri@blah.math.tu-graz.ac.at
Subject: Help wanted, Plan9 a piece of junk!
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 11:36:26 -0400	[thread overview]

jmk writes:
|I took a look in comp.os.linux.misc and felt right at home - there were
|articles about weird hangs trying to install distributions, hardware not
|being recognised, mice not being found, filesystems being trashed (NOT
|related to Plan 9), etc.

Welcome to the PC world. :-)

Seriously, though, the "plan 9 install way" of picking out what "partition"
it wants to use on the disk leaves a lot to be desired, especially when
you've got other operating systems on the disk. That you can't use a DOS
partition that's not the first partition on the disk to install it is a bug
(well, I consider that you need DOS in the first place to be a bug, but
it's worth putting up with for now), and so is that it seems to want to use
everything at the first "empty space" on the disk. This could seemingly all
be solved by just teaching prep to know about regular PC partitions and
have the install program ask which partition to install onto.

However, I don't have any sympathy for anyone who tries to install an
operating system on their computer without making backups.