* `file does not exist' when copying first stage files
@ 1995-08-16 17:20 Ture
From: Ture @ 1995-08-16 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Hm. First attempt bounced. Hope you don't see this twice... ]

After some trial-and-error, I've finally got Plan 9 up and running
on my home machine. Here's what I learned in the process:

* The installation procedure doesn't like anything before the DOS
  partition on the disk. I had a Linux swap partition there, which
  caused the mount of C: on /n/c to fail. The installation program
  then merrily went on copying files into /n/c, which was now a plain
  direcory on the floppy. I.e, it _was_ copying the floppy onto
  itself, like I suspected.

  How about removing the >/dev/null redirections from the rc files in
  the distribution, so one can see what is going on?

* Having LILO (the Linux boot loader) in the master boot record
  apparently doesn't work with Plan9. After installing the files from
  the first floppy and rebooting, the PLAN9\B thing refused to start
  Plan 9. Replacing the MBR with a vanilla DOS one (FDISK /MBR) solved
  this problem (but also means I can't boot Linux anymore, since it's
  on the second hard disk, which the DOS MBR doesn't understand. Foo.)

-- Ture

* `file does not exist' when copying first stage files
@ 1995-08-17 14:53 carvell
From: carvell @ 1995-08-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ture P}lsson wrote:
>  [...]
> * Having LILO (the Linux boot loader) in the master boot record
>   apparently doesn't work with Plan9. After installing the files from
>   the first floppy and rebooting, the PLAN9\B thing refused to start
>   Plan 9. Replacing the MBR with a vanilla DOS one (FDISK /MBR) solved
>   this problem (but also means I can't boot Linux anymore, since it's
>   on the second hard disk, which the DOS MBR doesn't understand. Foo.)
>
> -- Ture

For what it's worth, I had no problem with Lilo and Plan 9.  My setup:
single 207M IDE HD, partition 1=DOS, 2=Linux, 3=Linux swap, the rest
is Plan 9.

For anyone using Dos/Linux/Plan 9 out there: I did a complete install
of DOS, Linux and Plan9 at basically the same time since my previous
Linux setup was an old version, also it occupied my whole disk and I
wanted to add a DOS partition.  I don't know if all this was required
or not, but, here's what I did: Booted from a DOS floppy, used DOS
fdisk to make the main DOS partition and another DOS partition the
size of the Linux and Linux swap combined (2nd one being to allocate
space under DOS so Plan 9 would not install over it).  Installed Plan
9 at the end of the disk.  Booted DOS again and removed the pretend
linux/swap partition (to allow Linux to create its own partitions,
since the docs recommend against letting DOS make them).  Booted Linux
from the installation floppy (bootdisk/rootdisk), used Linux fdisk to
make the Linux and swap partitions in place of the 2nd DOS
one. (Whew).  Again, I don't know if all that was necessary.... but
everything seems to work fine.

When I get the CD version of Plan 9, hopefully this will be all be
simpler as I will be picking up a new HD for it to live on as well....

Gary

--
Gary Carvell
Galaxy Global Corporation

* `file does not exist' when copying first stage files
@ 1995-08-16 23:26 Boyd
From: Boyd @ 1995-08-16 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    From:	Frank Ashford <fashford@crl.com>

    Hmm.  Lilo is still livin' large on my system; I just tell it to boot

I put plan9 onto a linux system.  We just had to turn off the linux
partition for it to recognise that the attached disks were bootable.

* `file does not exist' when copying first stage files
@ 1995-08-16 18:11 Frank
From: Frank @ 1995-08-16 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <199508161720.TAA27761@kamelen.lysator.liu.se>, Ture P}lsson writes:

>After some trial-and-error, I've finally got Plan 9 up and running
>on my home machine. Here's what I learned in the process:
>
>[stuff about install deleted]
>
>* Having LILO (the Linux boot loader) in the master boot record
>  apparently doesn't work with Plan9. After installing the files from
>  the first floppy and rebooting, the PLAN9\B thing refused to start
>  Plan 9. Replacing the MBR with a vanilla DOS one (FDISK /MBR) solved
>  this problem (but also means I can't boot Linux anymore, since it's
  on the second hard disk, which the DOS MBR doesn't understand. Foo.)

Hmm.  Lilo is still livin' large on my system; I just tell it to boot
from the dos partition.  I then run plan9\b.  No problem.  By the way,
I'm running the demo from the ftp site.

Any luck building the executable from the source code in the 8.5 document
listed on the website?  I seem to be missing some include files from
that listing.  Should an error message indicating those files can't be
found come up from the compiler?
>-- Ture
-Frank