From: carvell@cards.com carvell@cards.com
Subject: `file does not exist' when copying first stage files
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 10:53:37 -0400	[thread overview]

Ture P}lsson wrote:
>  [...]
> * Having LILO (the Linux boot loader) in the master boot record
>   apparently doesn't work with Plan9. After installing the files from
>   the first floppy and rebooting, the PLAN9\B thing refused to start
>   Plan 9. Replacing the MBR with a vanilla DOS one (FDISK /MBR) solved
>   this problem (but also means I can't boot Linux anymore, since it's
>   on the second hard disk, which the DOS MBR doesn't understand. Foo.)
>
> -- Ture

For what it's worth, I had no problem with Lilo and Plan 9.  My setup:
single 207M IDE HD, partition 1=DOS, 2=Linux, 3=Linux swap, the rest
is Plan 9.

For anyone using Dos/Linux/Plan 9 out there: I did a complete install
of DOS, Linux and Plan9 at basically the same time since my previous
Linux setup was an old version, also it occupied my whole disk and I
wanted to add a DOS partition.  I don't know if all this was required
or not, but, here's what I did: Booted from a DOS floppy, used DOS
fdisk to make the main DOS partition and another DOS partition the
size of the Linux and Linux swap combined (2nd one being to allocate
space under DOS so Plan 9 would not install over it).  Installed Plan
9 at the end of the disk.  Booted DOS again and removed the pretend
linux/swap partition (to allow Linux to create its own partitions,
since the docs recommend against letting DOS make them).  Booted Linux
from the installation floppy (bootdisk/rootdisk), used Linux fdisk to
make the Linux and swap partitions in place of the 2nd DOS
one. (Whew).  Again, I don't know if all that was necessary.... but
everything seems to work fine.

When I get the CD version of Plan 9, hopefully this will be all be
simpler as I will be picking up a new HD for it to live on as well....

Gary

--
Gary Carvell
Galaxy Global Corporation