* format for source diffs
@ 1995-08-21  5:04 Vadim
From: Vadim @ 1995-08-21  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@galapagos.cse.psu.edu>

>The bundle plus diff would work, but it might be nice to take advantage
>of patch's functionality, since most people will be using it anyway and
>it can automatically create new files from context diffs built with -Nc
>or -Nu.  That would require augmenting /bin/diff or porting gnu diff,
>of course.

Aw!  The next thing to port will be EMACS :)

An illustration to my point on functional completeness.

--vadim

* format for source diffs
@ 1995-08-21 21:28 Brian
From: Brian @ 1995-08-21 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

vadim writes:
|Aw!  The next thing to port will be EMACS :)

Isn't it already (unforunately) done? I saw the man page (recommended reading).

* format for source diffs
@ 1995-08-21 12:20 Dirk
From: Dirk @ 1995-08-21 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

    jmk> the 868 can be described in vgadb as a vision864. i don't
    jmk> know what the clock or ramdac is on that board.

Markus.Friedl@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
wrote:

The SPEA MirageP64 (2MB DRAM) has a:
- S3 86C716 SDAC RAMDAC and Clockchip (BIOS 4.xx)
- 20C498 or 21C498 RAMDAC, ICS2595 Clockchip (BIOS 3.xx)
(according to the X11R6/XFree3.1.2 documents)

Now, how to use this informations? Is it possible to get this card working
with the current pcdist?

Thanx for any clue

Dirk

* format for source diffs
@ 1995-08-21  3:26 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-21  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

	As far as i can see, i like the system. The 8c is fast, giving great
	turn around times with writing and debugging. I'm only able to use 640x480x1.
	(my card is a Spea Mirage S3 with 868 chip and 2MB dram). Anyone know if i
	can patch the vgadb to work with this chip?

the 868 can be described in vgadb as a vision864. i don't know what the clock
or ramdac is on that board.

* format for source diffs
@ 1995-08-21  3:25 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-21  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

i can't say i'm thrilled about either of those options.

@ 1995-08-20 19:10 Dirk
From: Dirk @ 1995-08-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

    jmk> I'd like to make the source changes for aux/vga available,
    jmk> what should the format be? The changes include new files as
    jmk> well as diffs. I was thinking of a bundle containing the new
    jmk> files plus one file containing the output from diff
    jmk> /n/juke/plan_9/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga
    jmk> (/n/juke/plan_9 contains the distribution cd).

The right place for a few questions. I installed the pcdist last night and
suceeded! I screwed my ide disk one time, but who cares for MS-* anyways
(i also have a backup ;)

As far as i can see, i like the system. The 8c is fast, giving great
turn around times with writing and debugging. I'm only able to use 640x480x1.
(my card is a Spea Mirage S3 with 868 chip and 2MB dram). Anyone know if i
can patch the vgadb to work with this chip?

In fact, my main question is: Does it make sense to put  work in the
attempt to work with the pcdist. It lacks the man pages, most binarys (as
far as i can see) and (of course) the source. Is it possible to enhance the
system by hand (get 386 binaries from the net &&| free sources?). I used
80MB for the installation with this thought in mind. Is the documentation
available on the net? (maybe parts of it?)

Thanx for any advice

Dirk

ps: ignore my lousy english spelling

* format for source diffs
@ 1995-08-20 14:24 Scott
From: Scott @ 1995-08-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-08-20  4:09 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-20  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to make the source changes for aux/vga available, what should the
format be? The changes include new files as well as diffs. I was thinking of
a bundle containing the new files plus one file containing the output from
	diff /n/juke/plan_9/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga
(/n/juke/plan_9 contains the distribution cd).