* junk
@ 1995-08-22 21:38 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-08-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>The only problem is that you need an infinite amount of storage.
>>A "functionally complete" system must be able to understand all
>>the file formats of the world (audio, video, data compression, MS
>>Word documents etc) including ones yet to be devised.
>
>Not. Check any math book for the definition of the term.

OK, the following books have no definition of the term:

Theory of Formal Systems,
  Annals of Mathematical Studies #47
  Raymond M Smullyin
Theory of Recursive Functions and Effective Computability,
  McGraw-Hill Series on Higher Mathematics
  Hartley Rogers
Elements of Discrete Mathematics
  McGraw-Hill Computer Science Series
  C.L. Liu
Linear Algebra
  Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
  Michael O'nan

Actually, I also did a local library search and it didn't find it
there either.  There are many definitions of completeness, though
they vary drasticly with the mathematical concept being defined
(complete graph, complete field, ...).

Perhaps you could send us a reference and definition.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-08-22 21:38 UTC | newest]