* error messages from Adaptec driver when installing system
@ 1995-08-24 18:43 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-24 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

	> aux/vga causes my system to lock hard (aux/vga -lpv > /tmp/x is no help, as
	> the system locks before anything gets to disk.)  After trying three disk

first step should be 'aux/vga -pv > /tmp/x' which simply dumps the registers.
if that fails then there's no hope.

* error messages from Adaptec driver when installing system
@ 1995-08-28 14:17 Paul
From: Paul @ 1995-08-28 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Steve Kotsopoulos <steve@ecf.toronto.edu>
> I did that, and got:
>
> adaptec0:invdcmd #01, len 5
> scsiwait timed out
> adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
> scsiwait timed out

The first three things to do when having SCSI problems:

1) Check your cables and terminators
2) Check your cables and terminators
3) Check your cables and terminators

We have found under BSD/OS that this is the single largest cause of
weird SCSI problems.  Active terminators are best.  If you run external
cables you need to get high quality ones.  We did discover that with
adaptec and poorer quality terminators (like the ones that come on most
disk drives) that if you had an internal and external chain that you
had to leave the terminators in the card (so you would have 3 sets).
This is clearly wrong, but it is what it took for some combinations.
Also, don't crank of the speed on the card.

				-Paul Borman

* error messages from Adaptec driver when installing system
@ 1995-08-28 13:28 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-08-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

jmk@plan9.att.com wrote:
> i have no idea. given the error determining the cpu frequency i'd say there's
> something else fishy about the system, it's not the adaptec. i've never seen
> the timeout error and we've had a fair few adaptecs pass through here.
>
> what else is on the system?

The system also has a built-in IDE controller, though at first I'd been
booting up with the IDE disk data cable unplugged.

> try
> 	b sd!0!foobar
> and see if b.com has the same problem talking to the adaptec.

I did that, and got:

adaptec0:invdcmd #01, len 5
scsiwait timed out
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
scsiwait timed out
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
scsiwait timed out
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
scsiwait timed out
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
scsiwait timed out
scsi0: cap 1, sec 0
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
scsiwait timed out
can't read partition block

[goes on and on for about 5 minutes, then]

scsi0: cap 1, sec 0
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
scsiwait timed out
can't read partition block
exception/interrupt 0
FLAGS=10246 TRAP=0 ECODE=0 PC=8008bf72

* error messages from Adaptec driver when installing system
@ 1995-08-24 18:12 Steven
From: Steven @ 1995-08-24 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i have no idea. given the error determining the cpu frequency i'd say there's
> something else fishy about the system, it's not the adaptec. i've never seen
> [...]

Maybe that indicates the problem I've had trying to run aux/vga on my AMD
386DX/40 ISA motherboard (UMC chipset).

aux/vga causes my system to lock hard (aux/vga -lpv > /tmp/x is no help, as
the system locks before anything gets to disk.)  After trying three disk
controllers, two floppy controllers, three VGA cards, two hard disks, two
mice, and various amounts of RAM, I've pretty much concluded the motherboard is
the culprit.

With my normal BIOS config, the kernel reports my CPU speed as 45MHz.  If I
disable the external cache and increase the RAM wait states, it will report it
as 36MHz.

So... is there anything I can do about this?  (BTW, thanks to all for their

On a happier note, my CD-ROM is being ordered today.  How long has it been
taking receive it in the US?  BTW, here's the address and fax number for HB&C:

Harcourt Brace and Company
6277 Sea Harbor Drive
Orlando, FL  32887
Fax: 800-269-5232

(To get this address, I had to listen to their phone ring for over five minutes
before somebody answered.  It might be nice to add this address to
http://plan9.att.com/plan9/distrib.html, so that others need not suffer the
same fate.)
Steven Plite  <splite@wdni.com>       Open Systems Eng. & Support, Weyerhaeuser
    "This is the roller coaster of endless and violent vomit."	-- Jason Fox

* error messages from Adaptec driver when installing system
@ 1995-08-24 14:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-24 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-08-24 13:38 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-08-24 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

system: IBM PS/ValuePoint, 486DX 66MHz, 8Meg, Adaptec 1542CF, Seagate ST11200N

I'm trying to load Plan9 onto a PC (still waiting for the CDROM), but there
are long delays and error messages related to the scsi controller, then
it eventually panics:

1268 free pages, 5072Kbytes, swap 32592K, highwater 252K, headroom 312K
CPU is a 26MHz 486DX (cpuid: ax400 dx0)
scsi0: aha1542 port 330 irq11, dma 5
fs...time...adaptec0: timeout cmd=#00
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
adaptec0: timeout cmd=#03
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
adaptec0: timeout cmd=#1b
adaptec0:invdcmd #02, len 1
adaptec0: timeout cmd=#03
[snip]
/fs 13: serving #s/dos
registers for fs 14
FLAGS[snip]
panic: divide error[rest omitted]

I can fill in the details I omitted if they would help.

Questions:
1. Why is it reporting I have a 26MHz 486DX instead of 66MHz?
2. Is something wrong with the Adaptec, or something else?

FYI, here's part of the boot message from BSDI on the same system:
vga0 at isa0 iobase 0x3c0 maddr 0xa0000-0xaffff
aha0 at isa0 iobase 0x330 irq 11 drq 5: Adaptec AHA-1540CF/1542CF rev B0
aha0: extended BIOS translation enabled
aha0: delaying to permit certain devices to finish self-test
aha0: parity, bus transfer 5 Mb/s, bus on/off 11/4 us