* IDE CDROMs & Plan 9
@ 1995-08-24 21:29 Jon
From: Jon @ 1995-08-24 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

First off, I'd like to give kudos to the Plan 9 Guys.  I've had a lot of fun
playing with the free PC distribution.  I just got the full distribution and
I'm excited to get it going, which leads me to my question.

I have an IDE CDROM drive on my PC, and quite simply I was wondering if there
is any way that I can mount it under Plan 9.  I tried various incantations of
bind on '#H1' (it is my second IDE (slave) drive), to no avail.  I suspect one
of two things:  (I suppose these are obvious...)

  1.  I have the wrong incantation, or
  2.  IDE CDROM drives will not work with Plan 9 currently.

I suspect #2 is the right answer.  Thanks for any suggestions.  I may just
borrow a SCSI CDROM and use that, but I'd like to be able to use my CDROM
drive in the long term.  (I have a PC in transition from IDE to SCSI, so I
can deal with both...)

Jon

* IDE CDROMs & Plan 9
@ 1995-08-25 14:05 beto
From: beto @ 1995-08-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <9508242129.AA13544@computer>
	Jon Dugan <jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> First off, I'd like to give kudos to the Plan 9 Guys.  I've had a lot of fun
> playing with the free PC distribution.  I just got the full distribution and
> I'm excited to get it going, which leads me to my question.
>
> I have an IDE CDROM drive on my PC, and quite simply I was wondering if there
> is any way that I can mount it under Plan 9.  I tried various incantations of
> bind on '#H1' (it is my second IDE (slave) drive), to no avail.  I suspect one
> of two things:  (I suppose these are obvious...)
>
>   1.  I have the wrong incantation, or
>   2.  IDE CDROM drives will not work with Plan 9 currently.

Hi

I did a driver for ATAPI CDROMs, in particulary I'm using a creative Quad-speed
CD, which is ATAPI compatible. It serves /dec/atapi/cd for data CDs, and
we have a program vcd which get audio out of the CD :-).

If you are interesting mail me. It contains some code from
devata.c so I'm not sure how to send it to you.

* IDE CDROMs & Plan 9
@ 1995-08-25  0:03 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-08-25  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's no problem posting the source; from what dmr said last week
it's not a problem until there's enough out there that someone could
re-engineer the whole system...

I have a Toshiba ATAPI drive I've been meaning to write the driver for.