* Setting up IP on a Plan 9 PC
@ 1995-08-25 17:31 Paul
From: Paul @ 1995-08-25 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all for the help on this.  It is now working.  The things that
I had to do:

    1)	specify my ether address with *lower case* letters in /lib/ndb/local

    2)	make sure that "aux/listen tcp" was called (not
	"aux/listen /net/ether")  My confusion here was that the man page
	talked about /net/dk being the default network, so I had used
	/net/ether, which only produced "Giving up on /net/ether!*!*"

In my /rc/bin/termrc file I modified the entry

	case NCR* 'AT&TNSX'* generic*

to have:

        if(test -e /net/ether/clone) ip/ipconfig
+       if(test -e /net/ether/clone) aux/listen tcp

I also changed it to add the hd1swap device rather than hd0swap device as
I installed Plan 9 on my second IDE disk.

				-Paul Borman
				 prb@bsdi.com

* Setting up IP on a Plan 9 PC
@ 1995-08-24 17:04 Paul
From: Paul @ 1995-08-24 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been struggling with getting a PC running Plan 9 (The CD).  I
install it fine.  I edit /lib/ndb/local.  I can't get IP to work.  I
did make it work by booting 9pccpu and hacking cpurc to stuff my
hostname into /dev/sysname and /env/sysname before going forward, but
this does not seem right.  Oh, this also only got outgoing IP to work,
even after starting aux/listen on /net/ether I was not able to telnet
into the box.  I figure I need to get /dev/hd1nvram setup (I installed on my
second IDE drive) but have found no way to do so.

It might be nice to have a small writeup describing how to do it.  I
have been taking notes so I can post whatever I end up with.

				-Paul Borman
				 prb@bsdi.com