* no method for accessing auth server. file does not exist.
@ 1995-08-26 13:35 Hans-Peter
From: Hans-Peter @ 1995-08-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Plan 9 gurus,

we' ve got the plan 9 CD yesterday and installed the system
on a file server (sparc 1) from a PC (486).

Everything works fine before have done the things
described in the section
	'Make this PC a CPU or Authentification Server'.

When we boot a terminal now (file server and PC
(PC and Authentification Server) are running), we got the
following message:
	'boot: no method for accessing auth server. file does not exist.'

Thanks for your help.

-hp

* no method for accessing auth server. file does not exist.
@ 1995-08-26 14:12 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-08-26 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sounds like the bootp going back to the terminal doesn't have
the address of the authentication server.

If you are not being asked to type in IP addresses when booting
the terminal then you are getting a Plan 9 BOOTP response.  Wherever the
response is coming from, it doesn't include an address for the authentication
server to use.

If the response is coming from the CPU/auth server then /lib/ndb/local
is wrong.  Somewhere you must have an entry like

ipnet=xxxx ip=135.104.0.0
	fs=bootes.research.att.com
	auth=1127auth

for the network your terminal is on.

Make sure the 'auth=' line is there and that it refers to the system
name of the authentication/cpu server.  For example

sys=1127auth
	ip=135.104.9.34
	ip=135.104.9.6
	proto=il

We have 2 IP addresses because we have 2 auth servers.  If this doesn't
work, send me your /lib/ndb/local file.