From: Bill Hogan bhogan@bedlam.rahul.net
Subject: future co-existence with Linux?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 07:25:00 -0400	[thread overview]

"JLP" == Jerry L Pearson <jpearson@jlc.net> writes:

  JLP> The dos executable loadlin will load Linux from DOS...
  JLP> At a functional level, loadlin would be equivalent to b.com ???

   Yes. Here is a note that illustrates what I think is a sensible way
to manage multiple operating systems on a PC hardware platform.
		-----*-----
From: ez023169@monet.ucdavis.edu (Blade)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Boot Manager using DOS6.2 Multi-Config Menu!!!!!
Date: 14 Apr 1995 21:44:51 GMT

        Booting linux can be very troublesome at times.  A floppy works fine
but takes a bit longer.  Writing lilo to the MBR can be deadly to new users.
Ofcourse, OS/2 boot manager works fine but not everyone has it.  However, for
users with DOS 6.2, we can use the Multi-Configuration Menu (for config.sys
and autoexec.bat) as a boot manager.
        To do that, one needs to install the LOADLIN package.  Loadlin allows
us to boot linux directly from dos.  Loadlin also takes command line parameters
such as "aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" for Sound Blaster SCSII CDROM Adaptec Controller.        Once LOADLIN is set up, we need to configure CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT so that when we choose "linux" it executes the batch file to boot
linux.  Look at DOCS for Loadlin for more info.
        Hope this helps all those who wants a boot manger that works better
than lilo.
	Here are my files:
======================config.sys=======================================
[menu]
menuitem = dos
menuitem = linux

[dos]
DEVICE=C:\SCSI\ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /Z
DEVICE=C:\SCSI\ASPICD.SYS /D:ASPICD0
LASTDRIVE = F
DEVICE=C:\MAIN\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\MAIN\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
FILES=40
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
REM ** FILES=30
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\  /p
STACKS=9,256

[linux]

=======================autoexec.bat======================================
goto %config%
:dos
C:\SCSI\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ASPICD0 /M:12 /L:F
SET SOUND=C:\MAIN\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\MAIN\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S