* laptop and mice
@ 1995-08-31  2:46 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-08-31  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like the Fingerpoint mouse for portables.  It's a pad about 3 x 5 cm
that you move your finger around on.  It has 3 buttons.  A tap and
hold of your finger on the pad is like holding down button 1.  A
double tap is like a double click of button one.

It's small, can be velcro'd to the machine, and is as close as I've
seen to the control of real mouse.  It is still not as nice as a
mouse.

--------

By the way...

Shift+right button == middle button

We could have used chords but were afraid of taking chords away
from programs, ut ita dicam.

* laptop and mice
@ 1995-08-31 12:52 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-08-31 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> > How do I find out what is in the 1170 API?
> > I.e. are the System V IPC interfaces there?
>
> I've got no idea what you're on about...?

No doubt, this has baffled everyone else, too. In fact, this was a reply to
some internal mail, which I was trying to send from within wily, but my
MH scripts are a little broken.

Sorry for the waste, all. [embarrassed, sheepish grin]

steve

* laptop and mice
@ 1995-08-31 12:40 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-08-31 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-08-31 12:36 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-08-31 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-08-30 15:12 Gary
From: Gary @ 1995-08-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <9508301441.AA05266@daikon.tuc.noao.edu.noao>,
Richard Wolff writes:

>I'm considering buying a laptop and would like, of course, to consider
>running plan 9 on it.  But all the machines have one button (apple) or

Forget apple and plan 9 unless you want to do a lot of work.

>two button (windoz) mice built in.  Are there any machines with three
>button mice?  (and supported by plan 9 ?)  Probably not, so the real
>question is what are folks doing to provide the extra mouse button?  I
>know that one could buy an external mouse and carry that around as
>well, but that's not very elegant given that most everything else one might
>want is now built it to the basic machine.

A trackball is not everything else _I_ would want.  In other words
you may end up carrying around a decent mouse (if you can find
such a beastie) anyway.

>Using the alt, or better, the new
>windows key, as either a third mouse button or a button modifier seems
>better, but...has anyone done this?  Other ideas?

I think Plan 9 with a Microsoft mouse uses shift with right-button to
give middle button.  Not fun for playing with acme.

* laptop and mice
@ 1995-08-30 15:09 Cort
From: Cort @ 1995-08-30 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen several that let you use a configuration menu to choose between
alt/alt-shift/alt-shift-control mouse-button to emulate a 3rd button but
the most common that I've seen are the ones that make you press both
buttons at once.  I haven't seen many that let you emulate a 3rd button in
anything but software, though.

} I'm considering buying a laptop and would like, of course, to consider
} running plan 9 on it.  But all the machines have one button (apple) or
} two button (windoz) mice built in.  Are there any machines with three
} button mice?  (and supported by plan 9 ?)  Probably not, so the real
} question is what are folks doing to provide the extra mouse button?  I
} know that one could buy an external mouse and carry that around as
} well, but that's not very elegant given that most everything else one might
} want is now built it to the basic machine.  Using the alt, or better, the new

@ 1995-08-30 14:41 Richard
From: Richard @ 1995-08-30 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm considering buying a laptop and would like, of course, to consider
running plan 9 on it.  But all the machines have one button (apple) or
two button (windoz) mice built in.  Are there any machines with three
button mice?  (and supported by plan 9 ?)  Probably not, so the real
question is what are folks doing to provide the extra mouse button?  I
know that one could buy an external mouse and carry that around as
well, but that's not very elegant given that most everything else one might
want is now built it to the basic machine.  Using the alt, or better, the new
windows key, as either a third mouse button or a button modifier seems
better, but...has anyone done this?  Other ideas?

Richard

* laptop and mice
@ 1995-08-30 13:26 Zachary
From: Zachary @ 1995-08-30 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'm considering buying a laptop and would like, of course, to consider
>running plan 9 on it.  But all the machines have one button (apple) or
>two button (windoz) mice built in.  Are there any machines with three
>button mice?  (and supported by plan 9 ?)

Well, Tadpole Technology makes high-end laptops that have 3 buttons,
but they're *real* high end machines (100 & 133MHz Pentium laptops) and
you could buy a car for what their lowest end machine will cost you.
Http://www.tadpole.com/ for more info.  They also make Sparcbooks :)
Unfortunately, I don't think Plan9 has been put on either one of their machines
yet..

>  Probably not, so the real
>question is what are folks doing to provide the extra mouse button?  I
>know that one could buy an external mouse and carry that around as
>well, but that's not very elegant given that most everything else one might
>want is now built it to the basic machine.  Using the alt, or better, the new
>windows key, as either a third mouse button or a button modifier seems
>better, but...has anyone done this?  Other ideas?

How many machines have the 'new windows key' ? Alt sounds to me like a better idea,
or maybe even something more bizarre like Ctrl-Alt... perhaps it would be best to
just have a general 'remapper' app that would let the user reassign mouseclicks
to whatever key or keycombination was desired.

 --Zachary