* Questions on CD distribution
@ 1995-09-04 14:42 Staffan
From: Staffan @ 1995-09-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have now, after spending a few very late nights with it, managed to
get the ftp version of Plan 9 working.  Well, I've enjoyed playing
around a bit, compiled a small program (I'm really impressed that the
compiler w/ include files and libraries is included in this
distribution!), and so on.  However, without the bulk of programs on
the CD, and sources to everything, this is as far as it goes...  I'd
be interested in writing/porting a few utilities, but it would really
help to look at existing sources a bit first...

So, I'd guess I now have two choices (this probably holds for most
people who have installed and tried the free version for the PC):
either buy the CD, or finish using Plan 9.  Since the CD is quite
expensive, from a non-corporate point of view, I'd like to know the
following before I consider ordering the CD:

1) From what I can understand of the licence agreement, an
organization or corporation may buy one copy and use on several
machines.  I think it would be in the spirit of these terms that I and
a friend bought one copy and installed it on our machines at home; or
would this be considered software piracy?

2) Since Plan 9 is not a finished product, I suppose quite a lot will
change, lots of bug fixed made etc.  Will the updated/new programs w/
source code be available for ftp d/l for licencees?

Staffan
--
/D{def}def /d{.00017 add D}D /C{2 copy dup mul exch dup mul}D /g 150 string
D /y .29 D 150 150 8[.4 0 0 .4 -45 -90]{/x -1.2 D 0 1 149{x y /n 300 D{/n n

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-09-04 14:42 UTC | newest]